PDA

View Full Version : My raptorial sweetheart loves only me

Jack Breakfast
03-01-2012, 08:54 AM
Greetings fine feathered folks
I am enjoying looking back at some files from my cheapo Nikon system (D90 and the wondrous 180mm f2.8) and here we have a fine hawk who let me observe him (or her?) at a close distance indeed. Settings were iso400, f3.5, 1/800. To explain the crop: there is a somewhat unsightly branch slightly above the bird (which could be cloned, I suppose) and as such I've opted for the crop you see here...I'd love to hear your thoughts...other than the crop and a minor levels adjustment, the image is as-shot. Many thanks in advance for your comments. Also, is this a juvenile?

bhavya joshi
03-01-2012, 09:36 AM
Great shot jack. love pose of bird nice details,perch BG. looks like targeting something..

jack williamson
03-01-2012, 11:04 AM
You and that cheapo nikon system made a very high IQ image here Jack. Of course the main concern is the head angle otherwise excellent.

Jack

Jack Breakfast
03-01-2012, 11:19 AM
Namesake Jack many thanks, and thanks Bhavya also. I've switched to a less cheapo system (Canon 7D and a couple of decent L lenses) and I'm less happy now! Perhaps I'm less happy b/c I know more. Luckily, I still know almost nothing...

Daniel Cadieux
03-02-2012, 10:24 AM
I like the deep woods low-light feel to the image, and you've got a beautiful perch for this individual. It's the body and head angles that reduced the impact of the image...I can only imagine if it was facing you (or angled towards you). A bit of a bluish/greenish cast to the whites of the plumage can be easily corrected via "Selective Color".

Jack Breakfast
03-02-2012, 11:10 AM
Agreed, Daniel, in such a situation I took what I could get...he (she?) was up in the tree for about 3 seconds and then leapt down to the ground, 10 ft in front of me. I have some shots of the fine hawk looking straight at me and the grass is nicely blurred at f2.8 but I found this shot more interesting. Thanks also for the tip-off on the color cast...hadn't noticed that...you have the eyes of a...hawk...