PDA

View Full Version : Ocean Glow

Andrew Aveley
02-29-2012, 12:52 PM
January 17 2012 will be etched in my mind for a long time . I experience some mind blowing light just before sunset.The air was thick and very humid with warm sea water adding to the 'closeness'' of the air. Canon 5D MK 2 , Tripod , remote shutter release and Lee 0.9 soft grad. 16 mm , F 11 ISO 100 , 0.8 sec , Manual Exposure. I am in two minds with processing this image as I have left saturation and vibrance in raw conversion at 0 and only the basic workflow with the rest. Resized and sharpened and added LCE. I am sure the "hotspot" could be addressed with blending of multiple exposures (seams lot more prominent on resized image)but I am quite happy with the result as is. All feedback and comments appreciated.

Robert Amoruso
02-29-2012, 01:12 PM
Andrew,

You should be happy with this one. An excellent effort and result. As noted you have lots of options on the processing, but as presented, I like it just fine.

What I will talk about is the composition. I like the 2/3 sky, 1/3 water vertical - the normal way here would be a horizontal, but I feel the vertical strengths the strong diagonal lines in the image. The diagonals occur at the water - both wave and receding (appears to be receding) water in the FG and in the sky. The diagonals compliant (same direction) and oppose (opposite direction) each other in the sky and water. I feel this dynamic, enhanced by the vertical, makes this image powerful.

Well done.

Andrew McLachlan
02-29-2012, 08:18 PM
Hi Andrew, beautiful light, colors and comp! I love the amount of blur for the incoming waves. Another way around the hotspot you mention would be to use Reverse Grad filters in the field. I started using them about a year ago and love them. They are perfect for sunrise / sunset images where the brightest skies are often at the horizon. One of my new favorites of yours for sure! :cheers:

Jay Gould
02-29-2012, 10:03 PM
While I too am a great believer in reverse grads, given the glow over the water, I would not want to diminish the source of the amazing glow. Fortunately it isn't the large like a globe of sun; the clouds were your filter.

Excellent capture; agree with all Bob said too.

Jerry van Dijk
03-01-2012, 07:07 AM
Hi Andrew, congrats on an amazing image. It must have been quite a sight! Robert already very eloquiently expressed my positive remarks about the composition here.

Dave Woeller
03-01-2012, 09:24 AM
A very powerful image for sure. I'm glad you shared. It must have been awesome to see this live.

Angelika Schauf
03-01-2012, 11:59 AM
Wonderful colors and great clouds. Perfectly exposed.

Andrew Aveley
03-01-2012, 03:33 PM
Thank you for viewing and commenting. Yes Robert I did try and get a convergence of the line of water with the small waves moving towards the beach and the receding water. I aldo found that the portrait view was a lot more appealing than the normal landscape but I will work on them to get a fair comparison.

Rachel Hollander
03-01-2012, 09:36 PM
Andrew - beautiful image. Love the colors and the blur of the wave. It all works for me. Congrats!

TFS,
Rachel

Brendan Dozier
03-04-2012, 11:03 AM
Beautiful composition, Andrew. Love the colors, glow, diagonals in water and clouds, and nice softness to water.

Morkel Erasmus
03-11-2012, 02:31 PM
your best-looking landscape image yet for me (of those I've seen, of course :w3)
awesome light, well composed, well processed...
:cheers: