PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Grey Kangaroos ( Macropus giganteus) fighting Tidbinbilla ACT Australia

Rod Warnock
02-29-2012, 05:28 AM
Eastern Grey Kangaroos ( Macropus giganteus) fighting Tidbinbilla ACT Australia
Canon EOS 7D Lens 400mm L USM 5.6 ISO1600 F6.3 1/1000 available light 27 February 2012 7.20am
Dominance fighting between male Eastern Grey Kangaroos is spectacular and establishes who will father the next generation of joeys. A quick read of the following paper answers some common questions and facts:
http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/wildlife-ecosystems/wildlife/living_with_wildlife/kangaroos.html
THanks for viewing
Best regards
Rod Warnock

Ken Watkins
02-29-2012, 08:00 AM
Rod,

Great action captured here, I think a little more sharpening for web presentation may be necessary

Rachel Hollander
02-29-2012, 09:22 AM
Rod - I agree with Ken - great action, a little more sharpening will improve this. I do wish the other one wasn't there in the bg but sometimes we can't help that kind of thing.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
02-29-2012, 10:59 AM
Hi Rod, nice interaction, but having the grazing skippy in the BKG is not ideal sadly. However, occasionally to get the shot you have to accept certain limitations, although moving slightly left or right might have helps? Would look at reducing the yellow overall and the sharpening looks OK to me, increasing it might clash with the high ISO and give a more 'crunchy' look.

TFS
Steve

Stan Cunningham
02-29-2012, 12:32 PM
Nice action, the oof roo in the back does not bother me. And thanks for the url for more info.

Robert Amoruso
02-29-2012, 01:32 PM
Rod,

Good capture of the action and nicely framed. My preference would be not to have the BG Roo in the image. I would do a selection of the highlights (mostly the grass) and reduce luminosity as it is very bright and contrasty.

1) Highlight selection using Channels Pallete, CTRL-Click ont he RGB channel.
2) Back to Layers Pallete, create BG copy and add mask to BG copy. This creates a feathered selection of the highlights.
3) Change Blending Mode to Multiply - this darkens the highlights most, shadows least.
4) Adjust opacity as needed for affect.

Harshad Barve
03-03-2012, 09:45 PM
Terrific action shot and great advise by RA here
TFS

Morkel Erasmus
03-12-2012, 04:20 PM
great action/poses captured here! nice to see some "Joeys" - I assume they are wild?
sharpness looks good to me - more sharpening might increase the "gritty" look of the fur.
I agree with Robert's suggestion to tone down brightest highlights.