View Full Version : Mother & Cub

Brendon Cremer
02-29-2012, 01:16 AM
1/2000 sec @ F4
ISO 500
Flash at -1 EV
Canon 1D MK III
Canon 70-200 F4 L USM

A young Cub looks up at her mother in anticipation as she gazes upon a small herd of Impala in a near by clearing.

Harshad Barve
02-29-2012, 03:38 AM
This is hands down winner for me , great shot
TFS

Ken Watkins
02-29-2012, 07:54 AM
Brendon,

What a cracker as they say, great subject, great pose and interesting BG, MARVELOUS:cheers:

Rachel Hollander
02-29-2012, 09:19 AM
Brendon - beautiful image in nice light with good detail. Amazing how you are able to isolate the leopards. If this would stand up to a crop (which I think it will), a substantial crop from the rhs will also give you a more intimate version of this image and focus more attention on the cub's gaze at mom. Just an alternative, not in lieu of this beautiful image.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
02-29-2012, 10:38 AM
Hey Brendon, cool shot.

If you have more to the left I would try moving the whole crop a fraction more to the left as it's a wee bit tight, think that might be down to the MKIII FP's position. Would ease of on the saturation, and take some of the slight cast out of the whites as the detail then comes through nicely. Having the dramatic sky behind works extremely well as a backdrop and lifts the subject. Again, taking out some red from the BKG does give a more cooler sky, but just a thought.

As you had the SS I might have dropped the aperture a fraction just for a bit more detail, but f/4 seems to have worked well so no deal breaker.

TFS
Steve

Robert Amoruso
02-29-2012, 01:33 PM
Brendan, Good use of the flash really makes them appear 3D. Excellent sky BG and well placed grass accents makes this one picture perfect. Well done.

Hilary Hann
02-29-2012, 06:26 PM
Fantastic image, you seem to be mastering the use of flash.

Paul Taylor
03-01-2012, 12:58 AM
Wow - too good. Beautiful poses. I'm usually not a big fan of flash (not anti - just find the results can be unrealistic) but I can't argue with this result - if it's going to be done, that's how to do it! Sky and grasses are perfect.

Did you think about darkening/ dulling the rock to reduce the "flashed" look.... or not an issue?

Vivaldo Damilano
03-01-2012, 01:34 PM
Superb Brendon, love the fill flash used, make the iage pop nicely and also like sky Well done.

Brendon Cremer
03-02-2012, 04:37 AM
Thanks all for your great comments. Paul you make a valid point regarding the termite mound, i may have a look at the exposure on it and see what works.

Shreyas Mantri
03-07-2012, 09:44 AM
Awesome shot with perfect use of flash. Absolutely love it!

Morkel Erasmus
03-13-2012, 02:30 AM
lovely setting, POV and exposure bud - great use of the flash.
Paul has made a good point - interested to see a version with the mound toned down a tad...
:S3: