PDA

View Full Version : Warm Winter Day

Steve Canuel
02-28-2012, 09:49 PM
Although these guys will stay in their burrows during periods of extended cold they don't hibernate like other species of prairie dogs and will come out to enjoy the sunshine of a warm, sunny, winter's day. Also, not very popular here out west but how can you not love an animal that provides food and home for so many other species, manages to stay this clean while living in dirt tunnels, and eats cactus for lunch! 7D, 500/4, f5.6, 1/2000s, ISO 400, -1/3 EC, tripod, cropped a small bit for comp.

Harshad Barve
02-28-2012, 09:57 PM
Very nicely done indeed , excellent compo and details
TFS

Steve Kaluski
02-28-2012, 11:13 PM
Hi Steve, I always enjoy seeing your posts as they are always different, and shows the diversity of both animal and what you shoot. :cheers:

Light looks a little harsh, perhaps a slight tweak in Exposure/Curves might help? Like the hoarder look. Nice detail in the face & claws.

Also like Sids image, the image has an untagged profile.

TFS
Steve

Steve Canuel
02-29-2012, 12:36 AM
Hey Steve,
Thanks for the feedback and I'm glad to hear you enjoy my attempts at variety. Although I have to admit I wouldn't exactly hate having my own bear or big cat photos to post someday. Are you saying this photo looks like it could use more contrast or less?

Ken Watkins
02-29-2012, 07:51 AM
Steve,

Nice to see something small and very interesting, looks a very happy chappy:cheers:

Rachel Hollander
02-29-2012, 09:10 AM
Steve - Nice comp, detail and I like the brown tones. I agree it is nice to see different animals.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
02-29-2012, 11:32 AM
Are you saying this photo looks like it could use more contrast or less?

Hi Steve, as the image has an untagged profile when opened up the colours are more Orange/Red so it's difficult to judge, but I might suggest trying perhaps a hint more contrast say 10-12 (% numbers are only personal so it might be more or less) and then apply to key parts ie body etc, but avoiding any dark, shadow or black areas as you don't want to choke them.

Just a thought. :w3

Hope it helps.

Cheers
Steve

Stan Cunningham
02-29-2012, 12:28 PM
Nice job Steve, I really like the little bush behind the burrow and I'm assuming that's why you chose this one to set up as often their areas look totally denuded.
I'm on a work Mac so don't completely trust my view but it looks a little oversharpened but if no one else is noticing it ignore my comment.

Hilary Hann
02-29-2012, 06:28 PM
Like this very much. Nice to see the little claws and the complementary background adds to the image.

Steve Canuel
02-29-2012, 08:29 PM
Thanks everyone for the comments and suggestions.

Steve,
Thanks for the heads up on the profile. Forgot to recheck the box after doing some experiments a while back.