PDA

View Full Version : A Vulture grabs a Catfish dinner?

jim winters
02-28-2012, 01:58 AM
http://www.wutic.com/photos/stuff/dated/02-16-2012/vulture/122.jpg

not a great photo, but an interesting capture as vultures aren't fishing birds...possibly the end of the world?

Randy Stout
02-28-2012, 06:52 AM
Jim:

Great action captured. I would have taken it too.

Please be sure to post your camera and post processing details. It helps us critique the image.

That is one ratty looking vulture [which for a TV is saying a lot!]

The major concern from an image standpoint is that the action is happening away from us. THe fish displays well, but it is more effective when the bird is angled towards us.

Exposure looks good.

THere is appears to be a slight blue color cast in the image.

By the way, was the fish dead, or was he able to capture a live one?

Cheers, and look forward to more.

Randy

jack williamson
02-28-2012, 09:58 AM
This is great action, something I have never seen. I wish it was facing us. I too would like to know if this fish was dead.

Jack

Daniel Cadieux
02-28-2012, 10:22 AM
That is a great documentation type photo of a behaviour we don't normally see. Randy has touched on the main points. I'm also interested in his question (but no so much yours!!:t3)

jim winters
02-28-2012, 10:29 AM
come on, that was cleverly written....all i can say is that the waters edge was about 5' to the left, out of frame. a cormorant had originally tried to grab the fish but it was too big and heavy for him...
http://www.wutic.com/photos/stuff/dated/02-16-2012/vulture/121.jpg
i'm thinkin it was either dead or sick, or had just watched a "state of the union speech"...which is why the vulture was able to grab it in 4" of water

jim winters
02-28-2012, 10:32 AM
but, knowing that you guys would ask such a thing, i immediately reached for my "emergency vulture carrion attraction kit" and tried to get his attention by emphatically waving my a rotten small animal carcase in the air! i was hoping that i could entice him to do a fly by like in "top gun", so that i could shoot him head on AND ask him if the fish was alive or dead...but to no avail... :bg3:

Daniel Cadieux
02-28-2012, 12:13 PM
Ha ha! Thanks for the additional info Jim.

Sid Garige
02-28-2012, 03:54 PM
but, knowing that you guys would ask such a thing, i immediately reached for my "emergency vulture carrion attraction kit" and tried to get his attention by emphatically waving my a rotten small animal carcase in the air! i was hoping that i could entice him to do a fly by like in "top gun", so that i could shoot him head on AND ask him if the fish was alive or dead...but to no avail... :bg3:

Jim,

Unique behavior very well captured.
Humor is something that you will never put it on back burner :) Glad I know you.
-Sid