PDA

View Full Version : Tricolored Fishing Express

Lynn David Cole
02-27-2012, 10:03 PM
This image is of a Tricolored Heron at Brazos Bend State Park using a Canon 20D with a 400mm f/5.6 L at about 4:00 PM in full sunlight.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-ops1MAXX1qs/TyqVKG3b2LI/AAAAAAAAC4I/c1gyI9-mP3w/s1200/100606-0338.jpg

Randy Stout
02-28-2012, 07:02 AM
Lynn:

A big welcome to BPN, a great place to learn and grow as a nature photographer.

Your tri colored has a nice pose, looks intent. Exposure looks good.

The challenge here is the light. It is rather harsh, giving too high of contrast, and the angle is such that the eye is cast in shadow. When possible, earlier or later in the day when the sun is lower in the sky, and with the sun roughly at your back, gives more flattering light. A overcast day can allow you to shoot later in the day and not worry so much about the sun angle.

The image looks like it needs to be rotated clockwise, based on the reflections.

You might consider toning down the foreground clutter by burning that area in just a bit.

Again, glad to have you on board, look forward to more.

One thing that really helps develop your eye is to critique other folks images. It forces you to look critically at them, and to put into words what you like and don't like.

Cheers

Randy

Lynn David Cole
02-28-2012, 10:55 AM
Thanks Randy! That is a very helpful critique.

I can't wait to post my next one. :-)

Clemens Vanderwerf
02-28-2012, 12:16 PM
Welcome Lynn. Randy gave a nice summary of improvements.

Daniel Cadieux
02-28-2012, 12:23 PM
Randy has pretty much summed it up nicely...jkust want to say a belated welcome to BPN!! BTW Tricolored is my favorite species of heron, so thanks for sharing!!