PDA

View Full Version : Horse and mountain

Craig Kerr
02-27-2012, 01:10 PM
The image seemed a little flat so did a HDR (Fusion) process - All comments welcome original settings Canon 1D Mk 4 - Canon 17-40 @ 33 - ss 1\60 - F11 - ISO 100 - Hand Held

Craig Kerr
02-27-2012, 01:22 PM
The original image was a little flat so I tried a HDR (Fusion) conversion - all comments welcome
Original Canon 1D mk4 - Canon 17-40 @ 33 - SS 1/60 - F11.0 - ISO 100

Robert Amoruso
02-29-2012, 01:21 PM
Craig,

I like the pseudo HDR rework - it brought in some nice details.

You have nice compositional elements in the image but I don't feel the arrangement is the best it could be. My eye enters the image at the horse which is too close to the left side of the image. The agricultural crop rows from the horse to the mountain act as a good leading line to the trees and the peak beyond. My eye travels right to the smaller peak and then just kind of stalls there. The large open space on the right leaves me feeling empty.

I tried a crop eliminating the right side but do not feel that is any better. In the field, I think I might have tried walking right and framing the horse on the left FG with the large peak on the right BG to act as a leading diagonal line in the image. The crop rows may have strengthened that connection as well.

I hope I was able to explain myself so this makes sense to you. Thanks for posting.

Craig Kerr
03-01-2012, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the detailed comments Robert, thanks for taking the time, you explained clearly and concisely. The horse was still for only a moment, did not put too much thought into the composition. Have to think before I click :-)

Jerry van Dijk
03-03-2012, 04:25 PM
Wonderful scene. Robert's suggestions for improvement hit the nail on the head. I'm not too excited about what the fusion did to the clouds. Instead of the HDR approach, you could try a digital grad filter in ACR.

Andrew McLachlan
03-03-2012, 06:18 PM
Hi Craig, agree with Robert's suggestions for in the field corrections to the comp.

Morkel Erasmus
03-12-2012, 08:26 AM
The processing has brought out some nice details here Craig. Robert has voiced a thoughtful critique to which I cannot add much. I too would've been tempted to include that nice little sandstone ridge on the RHS but compositionally the bigger peak balances out the horse better and therefore needed to be more to the RHS.
:w3