100mm f/2.8 Macro
Manual mode
1/2000"
F10
ISO 200
Canon 430EX: On, Fired
HH
ACR and CS5

This is one I shot and processed last fall so I'm not 100% sure of all that was done in PP. This BF was in the shade so all the light on the subject is from the flash.

Cropped, SH, contrast, removed a flower that was barely touching the BF's wing on the right, reduced the size of the shadow below the BF by cloning in more flower, painted over some overly bright parts of the flower, NR on the BG, high pass and smart sharpening. I just noticed the shadow of the antenna to the left of the eye....had I been paying more attention I would have cloned it away.

Jonathan Ashton
02-28-2012, 12:49 PM
Very nice shot Ken, very good detail in the skipper. Pretty much a frame filler but I like the composition. There are a couple of softer areas in the wings - not sure why this is? The top left of the flower looks a little soft & cloudy around the edge - is this where you did a little cloning etc?
The antennae look really crisp, perhaps a little over-sharpened - I suspect you may disagree with me on this point (??:S3:)

Steve Maxson
02-29-2012, 12:35 PM
Hi Ken. Nice job getting both antennae sharp. :S3: I like the diagonal comp of your skipper and you have good sharpness (except for the 2 soft areas on the wing noted by Jonathan - you might be able to do some selective sharpening there). You might consider trying to bring more detail out of the shadow under the skipper - it is just dark enough that it draws my eye. Overall, this is very well done and a couple tweaks will make it even better!