PDA

View Full Version : Workshops what are they really about.

William Giokas
02-27-2012, 09:15 AM
Are workshops just a venue for the leader to sell his or her equipment or a event for learning ? For example, the leader uses Canon or Nikon gear and pushes a particular product while conducting the Workshop.
Just curious because I might attend one but I don't want to go to a sales meeting.
Your thoughs . Bill

James Shadle
02-27-2012, 09:36 AM
William,
If a workshop is advertised in our Workshops, Lectures and Events forum, you will be getting a good education.
Our workshop conductors are about helping you become a better photographer, not sell you gear or take pictures for you.
Personally I use Nikon gear and because of the large number of Canon users, I know how to use it also. The duplicity of equipment knowledge is true of most of our workshop conductors.
BPN and a good workshop will increase your learning curve like nothing else.
James

Marina Scarr
02-27-2012, 10:31 AM
Although I have never attended a workshop as a participant, I have been present during quite a few and spent a lot of time listening and watching. Up to this point, I have never heard workshop leaders marketing their equipment and/or accessories. That is not to say that if a participant asks about the equipment or accessories the leader is using, they won't provide information. Just like in any other business, there will be some bad workshops out there, but those conducted through BPN really appear to be about education and knowledge. I would suggest you do a little bit of researching before deciding on a workshop.

As James mentioned above, spending time on BPN alone will truly increase your knowledge, and I consider BPN to be an indispensable source of information. Closely looking at pictures and reading and writing critiques really trains your eye and helps you when you are out in the field tremendously.

Sidharth Kodikal
02-27-2012, 02:07 PM
William,
If a workshop is advertised in our Workshops, Lectures and Events forum, you will be getting a good education.
Our workshop conductors are about helping you become a better photographer, not sell you gear or take pictures for you.
Personally I use Nikon gear and because of the large number of Canon users, I know how to use it also. The duplicity of equipment knowledge is true of most of our workshop conductors.
BPN and a good workshop will increase your learning curve like nothing else.
James

I've never attended a workshop, James, but do hope to join you on the famed hooptie deux when I visit FL.
Btw, I'm pretty sure "duplicity" was typo ....

Doug West
02-28-2012, 12:49 AM
The best thing you can do is what you're doing now...ask questions. If there's a workshop you're interested in, go over
with a fine tooth comb on what the workshop includes. If it's a little fuzzy, ask the leader. Every leader has their own
approach on conducting a workshop.

I've been out with Darth...I mean James...a few times. He's never tried pushing his Nikon gear, although I'm constantly
pushing him to come over from the Dark Side and join Canon :)

I think you'll find some workshops are more hands on than others. Some leaders are more pro active in teaching while
others might be more reactive, in other words, waiting for you to ask the questions.

Doug

Jay Gould
02-28-2012, 01:53 AM
Are workshops just a venue for the leader to sell his or her equipment or a event for learning ? For example, the leader uses Canon or Nikon gear and pushes a particular product while conducting the Workshop.
Just curious because I might attend one but I don't want to go to a sales meeting.
Your thoughs . Bill

Bill, this from a workshop junkie; and proud of it.

You have to ask yourself what you want to accomplish from photography and how fast. Do you want to take your time and slowly and steadily improve - very slowly, or do you want a steep learning curve?

Speed costs!

A steep learning curve accomplished means lots of input from Professional photographers upon whom you have done a proper due diligence. You wouldn't buy a pig in a poke; you don't learn from an unknown instructor.

I have taken numerous workshops: some group; most one on one. No one has ever tried to sell me any equipment or software; everyone has gone out of their way to assist me in accomplishing my goals.

I am proud to say in my first year I started with Capt. James, Jim Neiger, Jack Graham, and Mike Moats. Couldn't have chosen better group for an introduction to the use of tripods, hand holding a long lens, landscape photography, and macro photography.

More recently I spent two weeks with Kah Kit Yoong in New Zealand and I am pleased to say I sold my first image from those obtained during this workshop.

In a couple of weeks I am flying from San Diego to South Carolina to spend four days with Chas Glatzer.

Why?

I am a sponge and I want to suck up what they know and apply it to become a better photographer.

I also am a book junkie; I started with Artie Morris' books and you should too. I have many more since.

If you have the time and the funds, and you pick your instructors carefully, you will not regret the investment.

James Shadle
02-28-2012, 02:12 AM
I've never attended a workshop, James, but do hope to join you on the famed hooptie deux when I visit FL.
Btw, I'm pretty sure "duplicity" was typo ....

DUPLICITY: the quality or state of being double or twofold.
Merriam-Webster Dictionary
I hope you are able to join me on the Hooptie Deux too:bg3:.

Dan Brown
02-28-2012, 10:51 AM
Do some workshops, William! I have participated in workshops starting with George Lepp in the distant past to Doug Brown/Greg Basco in Costa Rica and Jim Nieger's flight school, All of which I would highly recommend! You will meet new friends, be taken to great shooting sites and LEARN, LEARN, LEARN!!!

Roman Kurywczak
02-28-2012, 10:34 PM
Hey William,
I run small instuctional workshops and feel Jay sums up some great points and my feelings on this issue. The others also bring up some great points as well. Be an educated consumer. Compare the cost on how many days, what is included, what is not, how may participants, and the images of the instuctor who is leading. That should help you make a wise decision and make your learning curve less steep and costly. I don't know of any instuctor who "pushes" gear on a workshop. Don't just look at the price.....compare what is included and what is not... as this can be a huge difference!

Kerry Perkins
02-29-2012, 10:36 PM
Bill, workshop leaders are selling their knowledge and experience - not their gear.

William Giokas
03-01-2012, 08:32 PM
Thank everyone for your candid imput on this subject. Bill

ericbowles
03-06-2012, 05:36 PM
If you find someone pushing any product or brand of gear, it illustrates a lack of knowledge and a lack of professionalism. I've never seen it in a workshop I have attended or delivered.

Now there are different types fo workshops. The Nikon School has some workshops that are auditorium seminars - and as expected, they are demonstrating their product and encouraging purchase. More common are "Demo Days" or vendor seminars within a workshop where a vendor or sponsor brings in gear to try out and provides discounts for purchase. You have to be a little tolerant of a soft pitch by a sponsoring vendor as it keeps the cost of attending down.

These are all exceptions - normally workshops are pure learning events. The workshop business is competitive. People who fail to deliver a great experience won't be around long.