PDA

View Full Version : Artic Jaeger

Tom Rambaut
02-26-2012, 11:54 PM
I could be wrong but I think this an Artic Jaeger - we saw all three species of Jaeger but I'm no seabird expert - I have looked it up and still cannot tell for sure. Went on a boat off the coast to catch and band pelagic birds. I took along a hired 70-200 2.8 IS MK 2. I had mixed results as the boat was rocking around like anything and that combined with the birds moving around quickly resulted in lots of cut off or OOF frames. Photography was not the priority so you just had to make do with sun angles and boat movement as best you could. They were throwing food off the back of the boat to get the birds to come in and this bird did a pause before in plunged into the water to fight it out over scraps.

1D MK 4, 70-200 2.8 IS MK 2 @ 170mm + 1.4 ext. 1/2500 @ 5.6, iso 640. Manual.

Thanks Tom

Arthur Morris
02-27-2012, 12:59 AM
Not sure of the ID... After someone IDs it perhaps someone can age it. Sharp enough with a nice pose but with the uneven lighting and the bird's head turned awkwardly away this one does not float my boat. I do like what appears to be the splayed undertail coverts.

Tom Rambaut
02-27-2012, 01:27 AM
No control over the light as we were well past the ideal time for good light by the time we got out to where the birds were. The sun was high and harsh. I guess the head angle makes sense if you were there as the bird is looking at the food that is below it but agree that it is not ideal from an artistic standpoint.

Arthur Morris
02-27-2012, 02:09 AM
All that any of us can do is to do the best with what we have....

Bill Dix
02-27-2012, 12:20 PM
I'd love to get any Jaeger in a flight shot as nice as this. The light is admittedly harsh, but the position of the bird makes the best of the situation IMHO. Sharp and well exposed. Having the head focused on his next meal is not a disaster for me.

Stu Bowie
02-27-2012, 12:43 PM
Hi Tom, great wing display, and a good view of the underwings. Well placed in the frame, and I actually like the inquisitive head tilt. I agree that you have the sharpness spot on. Well done.