PDA

View Full Version : Pied Breakfast

Stu Bowie
02-26-2012, 10:50 PM
I went up to the Pilanesberg National Park with a few photographic mates yesterday, and although overcast, I did manage a few images. I have seen a lot of Pied Kingfishers catching fish, but this catch is fairly large. The Pied took a good few minutes to bash it against the perch, and you can see all the left over fish and scales on the side of the perch. I can tell you that it did eventually get swallowed. I like how the eye of the Pied is visible next to the open mouth of the fish. Perfect timing. :w3

Canon 50D
100-400 @ 400mm
1/800
F/6.3
ISO 640

Exp Comp +0.33
Hand held from a hide.

arash_hazeghi
02-26-2012, 10:55 PM
wow! what a big size fish for small bird!!! I like the intense eye contact from the fish and that we can see the KF's eye as well. perch could be nice but that is a minor point. great work

Sidharth Kodikal
02-26-2012, 11:09 PM
Wow, now that's a champion's breakfast! Superb exposure, dof, eye contact from both and the light looks great.
As always, IQ looks great.

Doug Brown
02-26-2012, 11:49 PM
Just enough KF eye is visible to make for a compelling image. I like the scales on the perch, but do wish the perch was a little smaller.

Tom Rambaut
02-26-2012, 11:59 PM
This made me smile. I also agree with the perch issue but enjoyed the image overall.

Arthur Morris
02-27-2012, 01:03 AM
Perch and fish to big. Bird too small :). I would have loved a better look at the bird's face. Humiliating for the fish--first get beat up and then become lunch.... Sharp with a good EXP.

Jonathan Ashton
02-27-2012, 04:25 AM
Great shot and super timing. Exposure and detail spot on, love the mutual eye contact. In this particular image the perch is unimportant to me, there is so much subject interest, for a moment I wondered who was eating whom!

Stu Bowie
02-27-2012, 09:54 AM
Thank you all for the kind words and feedback.

Doug, unfortunately all the perches at this location are on the larger size.

Artie. I do have a few frames in this sequence with a side on view. Will definately be posting it at a later stage.

Grace Scalzo
02-27-2012, 10:07 AM
I'm with Tom on this one, it got an immediate smile from me. I think that any image that causes a reaction from the viewer is successful. I'm not sure what all that blue is doing for you at the bottom, so I would eliminate a bit of it.

Bill Dix
02-27-2012, 12:09 PM
Wonderful capture, with a great look at the great fish. I look forward to seeing more, with better look at the bird; but this one has instant appeal. The perch is what it is.

Cheryl Arena Molennor
02-27-2012, 02:03 PM
LOL that is kinda funny. The fish is bigger than his head. Nice exposure on the whites and i like that we can see a birds eye.

Jim Crosswell
02-27-2012, 08:04 PM
Interesting image Stuart! I like the big lunch, sharpness and exposure.

gail bisson
02-27-2012, 08:41 PM
Hi Stuart,
I have to say that I am not loving this one. I find that the fish overwhelms the bird and I feel there is too much sky on the bottom and would crop some of it away. looking forward to seeing the others with a side-on view,
Gail

Stu Bowie
02-28-2012, 01:01 PM
Thanks for all the honest feedback and comments. Always appreciated.

Kaustubh Deshpande
02-28-2012, 01:48 PM
Stuart, agree that it wud be better to place the bird bit low in the frame...but otherwise, I am liking everything here..the eye contact with the fish is the best part. definitely. what a catch. exposure and rest are perfect as always. you've figured out how to handle these birds in all sorts of light conditions.