PDA

View Full Version : Long billed curlew

Sidharth Kodikal
02-26-2012, 07:34 PM
Canon 1D4, 700mm
1/1000, f7.1, iso 640, manual, tripod
Almost full frame.

I visited the Bolivar flats yesterday, and unfortunately it was cloudy and rainy all day long.
Since photography was a no-go, I decided to spend the entire day birding the island. At around sunset I got lucky when the sun peeked through for a few minutes and this big guy decided to walk towards me in the gorgeous light.

Probably a dime-a-dozen image for many with quick access to a beach, but I'm just happy to not return empty handed :t3

Feedback appreciated.
Thanks!

Marina Scarr
02-26-2012, 07:55 PM
It paid off to be patient b/c this is a stunner. Love the way you caught it on its front toes. Great low angle and HA. This is NOT a DAD image. It's top notch and I would be proud to have this one in my portfolio. The light is a kicker. I took it into PS and I think it needs a little CCW rotation to make that back foot flat on the sand. Of course you may have seen it differently.

Karl Egressy
02-26-2012, 07:57 PM
Great light and pose. Beauty shot.

Mike Osborne
02-26-2012, 09:10 PM
The light here is beautifully warm. I like the composition and detail as well.

dankearl
02-26-2012, 09:27 PM
Your usual great angle, You must burrow into the sand to get these.
Beautiful light as well.

arash_hazeghi
02-26-2012, 09:53 PM
excellent, love the pose sweet light details GA and the feet! gorgeous

Tom Rambaut
02-27-2012, 12:04 AM
lovley golden light and I like the HA and slight raised front foot. Comp is good also.

Stu Bowie
02-27-2012, 03:09 AM
Hi Sid, just love the low angle here, and you have captured a good walking pose. Good DOF on the Curlew, and the late afternoon has turned out nicely showing up warm colours. Killer BG too.

Jonathan Ashton
02-27-2012, 04:34 AM
Excellent shot, I like the light and the walking pose, as mentioned previously the clearly visible feet enhance the image.

Grace Scalzo
02-27-2012, 10:10 AM
It's simple and clean but not boring! The beautiful light and striding pose toward you make this one stand out in my book.

Sidharth Kodikal
02-27-2012, 02:19 PM
Thank you all; I appreciate the comments.

I took it into PS and I think it needs a little CCW rotation to make that back foot flat on the sand. Of course you may have seen it differently.

I had checked level on the tripod, but I too keep wanting to CCW rotate this a bit. I'll do it tonight. Thanks!

Frank Schauf
02-28-2012, 11:21 AM
Excellent light, pose and details.

Kaustubh Deshpande
02-28-2012, 01:45 PM
Sidharth....told ya...down south is amazing. I wish I could do some trips there.

this is an awesome shot...best parts are the light and the pose with the front foot just touching the sand. You nailed this one in every way...exposure, comp, details, subject angle. wouldn't touch a thing.

Sidharth Kodikal
02-28-2012, 08:04 PM
Thanks Kaustubh. This was my third trip to Bolivar in the last 2 years when I happened to be in Houston for some other reasons. Unfortunately it has rained on each of those visits.
I plan to visit this spring specifically for bird photography (and eagerly looking forward to it)

Robert Holguin
02-29-2012, 09:57 PM
Wonderful shot. I just love the warm soft light and the slightly raised foot. Great detail and excellent shooting angle.
Very well done.