PDA

View Full Version : Catch of the day.

Simon Wantling
02-26-2012, 11:31 AM
Took this photo yesterday at my local patch. Been trying to better my field craft and I think it's paying off. I think I may have cropped it a little tight ( maybe ) and I wasn't sure on the water colour as on another laptop it looked very blue indeed. I have toned it down now though. Comments as always welcomed from you more experienced photographers.

Canon 7D, 100-400mm, f7.1, 1/800, ISO 400, AWB, evaluative metering.

http://www.back-garden-moths.co.uk/7D/Grebe-fish.jpg

gail bisson
02-26-2012, 03:59 PM
Great catch Simon! Pardon the pun! Did you know you can post your image larger? 1024 x 800. The bigger size makes it easier on my old eyes! I like the low angle and the water droplets. The whites appear quite hot and I would try to fix this,
Gail

Marina Scarr
02-26-2012, 06:53 PM
Very well done on this one. I love how much details you have in the bird's head feathers so it seems the crop didn't hurt your IQ. Colors look good to me. Like the drop on the fish fin and those on the bird's back. Your low perspective is terrific and really adds to the power of this capture.

Doug Brown
02-26-2012, 07:06 PM
Excellent sharpness and good exposure control. Always nice when they've got a big fish in their mouth! The low angle helps. I just wish there was a slight head turn towards us.

Simon Wantling
02-26-2012, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the feedback and positive comments. I'll post a bigger image next time and definitely revisit the whites on the bird. Thanks again"

jack williamson
02-27-2012, 08:48 AM
Well done Simon, very sharp. As mentioned a little head turn this way would have been better.

Jack