PDA

View Full Version : Dark Tower

Angelika Schauf
02-26-2012, 09:29 AM
Old, abandoned tower, in a forest in Lauenstein/Germany.

5DMII, EF24, 1/200 sec, f/8, ISO 200

Jay Gould
02-26-2012, 11:30 AM
Hi, I find it too busy. I took it into LR and give it over 1 degree of CW; that lined up the two slots and I felt that was better. I then played with it in CS5 with Nik; didn't do much for me. I do not know what sharpening software you used; there is a slight halo around the top and RHS of the tower.

Angelika Schauf
02-26-2012, 12:13 PM
Jay, Nik Software Color Efex Pro was used to create the effect in the sky.

Robert Amoruso
02-26-2012, 10:22 PM
Angelika,

I would agree that a simplification of the image is needed. I like the idea of enhancing the vertical tower with the vertical trees. I tell my workshop participants, when the subject is tall in the scene, think vertical. A vertical composition with fewer trees would have been a good direction here IMO.

Andrew McLachlan
02-28-2012, 08:09 PM
Hi Angelika, I agree with Robert and Jay's comments. I think Robert makes a good suggestion on going vertical for this one and closer if possible to eliminate some of the trees for more simplicity.

Jerry van Dijk
03-03-2012, 04:35 PM
Hi Angelika, I like the gloomy mood of this image. I'm not fully with the others regarding the business of the scene. I like how the trees frame the tower. I think that a vertical crop would produce an uninteresting composition. I do think that a slight step to the right would have better separated the tower from the from the small tree in front of it, which may have reduced the busy feeling of the scene.
Apart from the halo around the tower, the tips of the branches of the trees also look funny. Definately some work to be done on the sharpening procedure here.

Angelika Schauf
03-04-2012, 02:45 AM
I thank you all for the feedback.
The halo around the tower produced by Nik Software Color Efex Pro.
Here is the original version, somewhat boring.

Jerry van Dijk
03-04-2012, 03:48 PM
That's a big difference! You should return to this location one day with more gloomy wheater conditions and dramatic skies.

Morkel Erasmus
03-12-2012, 06:14 AM
Nice gloomy scene here. I actually like your last post better - it's without the halo and has more clarity. If you wanted a darker mood you could have darkened it in Photoshop without running HDR plugins...:w3
As Robert said, a vertical would also have been nice!