PDA

View Full Version : Grebe with Fish - processing advice if possible.

Simon Wantling
02-25-2012, 12:09 PM
Hi, I was hoping someone can advise me please. I've taken what is likely to be my best Great Crested Grebe photo and I really want to make sure I process to the best it can be. I've processed it so far in Lightroom3 and I think it looks fairly good. I am now in the process of switching it to Photoshop and what I really want to do is reduce the noise etc in the background and sharpen the bird with USM. Can someone please advise or show me the best way to do this if possible. I've tried selecting out the bird using a mask but I just can't quite get the edges right. If anyone could help then that would be brilliant. I've attached a JPG of the image so far.

Thanks

Simon

http://www.back-garden-moths.co.uk/7D/Grebefish.jpg

Robert Amoruso
02-27-2012, 12:16 AM
Hello Simon,

Here is a repost and what I did.

Overall the image looks good. Below is using PSCS5

1) Noise reduction using Noiseware Pro (though any software will do). THis was done on a BG layer, opacity adjusted (around 60%) so the BG did not look too soft, then I masked the bird out using black on a layer mask and painting the bird.
2) Using the magic wand I selected the hot spot on the cheek and neck, Refine Edge by shifted edges, Feathering to 7 pixels and Smoothing to 35. I then used a levels adjustment on the selection and moving the mid-tone slider, darkened the hot areas in the selection.
3) Flattened layers then sharpened using USM on a BG copy using one round at 175/0.3/0, then two rounds at 125/0.2/0.

If there is a color shift, it was not intentional.

The thing to remember with selections, is if the transition does not look smooth, increase feathering and smoothing.

Also sharpening can bring back some of the noise in the BG. Just create a mask on the sharpening layer, and paint black over the BG.

Simon Wantling
02-27-2012, 11:39 PM
Thanks for taking the time to reply and process the image. There's some good advice in there. I've posted my version in the avian section. Thanks again.

Robert Amoruso
03-04-2012, 02:47 PM
You are welcome Simon.