PDA

View Full Version : Sinclair Cove Panoramic

Andrew McLachlan
02-23-2012, 11:11 PM
I haven't been around this forum too much lately as I have been very busy, but hope to be around more now and I have not been out for much winter photography either as we are having a rather dismal winter.

This is the last image I photographed from my Lake Superior Provincial Park trip last September. I awoke early and drove to this location to await daybreak, but was once again faced with stormy conditions as I was throughout the entire trip. I decided to create a quick panorama of this scene before beginning the long drive home. It is a series of seven images. I shot two series of images for this one...one tighter and one wider. This is the tighter version.

Nikon D200
Nikon 80-400 @ 86mm
ISO 100
f22 @ 1.6 seconds
mirror-lock

Look forward to comments.

mikedewitt
02-24-2012, 09:32 AM
Well done! I like it. Too bad the weather didn't cooperate, as I can imagine this would make for a stunning sunrise.

I'd love to get over on that side of the lake sometime...

Jay Gould
02-24-2012, 09:45 AM
Hi Mate, my first reaction was I like it but everything seems blue. I did Nik mishmash to see what I might quickly create: WDYT?

I too still have the blue cast; atmospheric conditions!

Andrew McLachlan
02-24-2012, 10:55 AM
Thanks guys, Jay you have confirmed my thoughts that it is a little too blue. I like what you did to the clouds so will take it through Nik remove color cast to see what I come up with. :S3:

Jay Gould
02-24-2012, 11:49 AM
Andrew, I applied about five different filters on top of each other; if my senior memory some: grads, detail extractor, color cast, skylight, .......

Because I was doing it quickly there are all in one consolidate layer. If taking my time I would apply each separately on its own layer so that I can adjust opacity and perhaps even mask.

Finally, I would also apply TK actions.

Dave Mills
02-24-2012, 12:51 PM
Hi Andrew, Used auto color(It works great sometimes...sometimes it doesn't) Burned in the water and clouds a bit and dodged some of the foliage.
I feel the image now looks more natural...

Jay Gould
02-24-2012, 01:46 PM
I like it.

Auto color in what medium? Nik? CS5: curves, levels?

Dave Mills
02-24-2012, 02:03 PM
Hi Jay,
CS5...under image/autocolor. This at times(not always) can reduce the effects of added filter...warming etc...

mikedewitt
02-24-2012, 02:13 PM
I think the repost Dave provided is a significant improvement to this image.

Andrew McLachlan
02-24-2012, 02:52 PM
Thanks Dave for the auto-color tip, your repost does look much better. Thanks.

Angelika Schauf
02-26-2012, 09:00 AM
A beautiful panorama, nice landscape and clouds.

Robert Amoruso
02-26-2012, 10:30 PM
I like Dave's repost but still find it a bit to cyan looking. I think I would have like to see more of the sky.

Andrew McLachlan
02-28-2012, 07:59 PM
Thanks Angelika and Robert for the additional comments, much appreciated. Robert, I do have a series of images with more sky I will try to post that version in the next few days. Fighting a nasty bit of bronchitis at the moment.

Andrew Aveley
03-01-2012, 03:44 PM
Heya mate , glad to see I am not the only one being scarce.........great panno..why not in black and white ? Think the grey tones here could lead to a great image

Rachel Hollander
03-01-2012, 09:40 PM
Hi Andrew - beautiful panoramic scene and Dave's repost takes it up a level. Will be interested to see what you can do with it once you are feeling better, which I hope is soon.

TFS,
Rachel

Jerry van Dijk
03-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Although Dave's RP looks most natural, I think that too much of that special pre sunrise color glow from the OP was lost. I also prefer the somewhat softer clouds in the OP. Curious to see what you come up with when you're feeling better!

Andrew McLachlan
03-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Thanks Rachel, Andrew and Jerry for the additional comments.

Morkel Erasmus
03-12-2012, 05:41 AM
Nice-looking pano here Andrew. I agree with the colour comments, prefer Dave's repost, yet still agree with Robert that it's a bit too cyan now. A few more tweaks should do the trick. Would love to see this MUCH larger...:bg3: