PDA

View Full Version : Leopard lightening

Marc Mol
02-23-2012, 01:26 AM
A 4 month old leopard cub (the other shy one higher up) waiting for mum's return with an electrical storm & lightening bolt in the background.
Captured using a high a multiple frame rate, spot lit from vehicle, -2.7 exp, NO flash, and remote release during the storm with a lot of patience and a little luck.:w3
Would have loved his attention as well (I did get it a lot of the time,...... just not here:e3)

D3s 500VR 1/100s f/4 ISO3200 -2.7EV & spot meter. F/F. Chipela Chayumba region, Northern Mfuwe, Sth Luangwa NP- Zambia Nov 2011.

C & C most welcome

Cheers
Marc

Ken Watkins
02-23-2012, 04:11 AM
Marc,

What on earth is a multiple frame rate?

An interesting concept but I fear it does not work well for me, firstly as subject is not looking, plus the BG is "odd" to say the least.

Marc Mol
02-23-2012, 05:08 AM
Thanks Ken

Marc,

What on earth is a multiple frame rate?

Frame rate set @ highest speed, ie. 9fps (or as fast as 1/100s will allow)

An interesting concept but I fear it does not work well for me, firstly as subject is not looking, plus the BG is "odd" to say the least.

Yep, I understand this may not be everyone's cuppa.
You do realise the odd BG is actually the S curve of the lightening bolt? As I said if I had the cub's attention, this would have been a winner.

Harshad Barve
02-23-2012, 06:34 AM
Marc , I liked this LOTTTTT . Nice scene , BG and leo is striking gold in this image , Big congrats
TFS

Brendon Cremer
02-23-2012, 08:41 AM
Marc i think this is stunning, really something different, well planned and very well executed, yes some eye contact would have been a bonus but for me doest not detract from the magnitude of this image, very well done!

Rachel Hollander
02-23-2012, 04:55 PM
Marc - I'm confused, is this one frame or multiple frames? If multiple, is that why the lightening is so broad and seems to be multiple circles intertwined? I like the concept and admire your execution but for me, I would probably not have known it was lightening if you had not told us. Sorry.

TFS,
Rachel

Marc Mol
02-23-2012, 05:58 PM
Thanks Harshad & Brendon

Marc - I'm confused, is this one frame or multiple frames? If multiple, is that why the lightening is so broad and seems to be multiple circles intertwined? I like the concept and admire your execution but for me, I would probably not have known it was lightening if you had not told us. Sorry.

TFS,
Rachel

Thanks Rachel

This is one frame only (no stitching), basically it's a case of sitting back and firing away (using highest frame rate) in anticipation of capture 1 frame with the lightening bolt in the scene.

Sid Garige
02-25-2012, 12:46 AM
Marc, Very interesting image. Nice eye contact would have taken this is next level.

Steve Canuel
02-28-2012, 10:27 PM
Cool shot Marc. I like the fractured look of the lightning bolt For me, reducing the yellow on just the tree trunk and darkening it a touch helps the leopard stand out just a touch more and could be another option.

Morkel Erasmus
03-12-2012, 04:18 AM
great timing to get this one Marc! as you already said, if there was eye contact...:bugeyed:...still an interesting image captured.