PDA

View Full Version : How to comply with these Nauture's Best Guidlines?

Jim Poor
04-11-2008, 09:24 AM
Each electronic image must be labeled with your first and last name, image title, and the category it is to enter.

How? The file name doesn't seem like an option as it would be tooooooo loooonnnnggg.

Is this done in meta data or with a reference list or something?

I'm considering entering my very first contest ;)

Chris Ober
04-11-2008, 09:46 AM
Enter them in the IPTC tags of the images. I would also at least have your name in the filename on the ones you submit. Good luck! :)

Fabs Forns
04-11-2008, 02:55 PM
Example: FabiolaFornsSnowyEgretFightBirds.jpg

That's how I do it, and it works.

Good luck!

Jim Poor
04-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Cool thanks much :D

c.w. moynihan
04-14-2008, 10:09 AM
Another question for this competiton...I know there are no alterations removal or addition to the image. What about reducing the size of the flash catchlight in a bird's eye ? In a hummer setup I did, studio strobes were used with softboxes. because of this, the catchlight is a pretty big square in the eye. I would like to round of the corners and reduce it's size. Would that be grounds for dis-qualification ? TIA

Jim Poor
04-14-2008, 10:18 AM
I think the "nothing should be taken away" wording probably applies to the catchlight too. I'm not sure if burning could be considered a color correction or not. Too bad there didn't just happen to be a dust spot right on the eye ;)

Personally, I would err on the side of caution and submit as is, or not at all but then what do I know as I've never entered before. . .

c.w. moynihan
04-14-2008, 11:09 AM
That's what I figured Jim. I did send this question to the competition's questions email link. We shall see if they respond.

Jim Poor
04-14-2008, 11:20 AM
The magazine HQ is right down the street from my house. I might just drop in on them one day this week. Who knows, maybe they need some part time help :D

Fabs Forns
04-14-2008, 12:51 PM
I would think that removing a catch light may be beyond the allowed manipulations...

c.w. moynihan
04-14-2008, 01:01 PM
I would think that removing a catch light may be beyond the allowed manipulations...

Thanks for your input Fabs ! I was not going to remove it, only round the corners of the square (softbox produced) catchlight and reduce it's size a little. That too probably isn't allowed, so I will just go submit it as is.

c.w. moynihan
04-14-2008, 01:25 PM
I just received a response back from Natures Best...

Thank you for your interest in Nature's Best Photography Windland Smith Rice International Award, the premier Nature Photography competition in the world. Each year the winning images are published in the Collector’s Edition of Nature’s Best Photography magazine and a selection of the winners are exhibited in the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History in Washington, DC where they are enjoyed by millions of visitors from around the globe.
All images should represent the scene as it appeared in the viewfinder at the time the image was taken. Nothing should be added or removed from the original image. Part of the art of photography is about the photographer’s ability to compose the image without distracting elements, including glare from glass or flash units.
Depending on the source, glare may be reduced or eliminated in several ways: repositioning the camera to get a better angle that does not reflect light, by adding a polarizing filter to the lens and rotating it to achieve effective glare reduction, reducing the output of flash units, repositioning lighting systems, etc.
Normal processing of digital image RAW files is acceptable and must reflect the natural color, light, and contrast at the time of exposure. Any digital manipulation beyond levels, curves, color balance, contrast and brightness must be fully disclosed, including, but not limited to: cropping, digital stitching, cloning, airbrushing of any kind, alterations made to a scene to add or remove elements, etc.
Discovery of undisclosed digital manipulation will be grounds for removing a submission from further consideration.

I interpret this part as being okay to change the catch light as long as I disclose it... What do you think, TIA

Normal processing of digital image RAW files is acceptable and must reflect the natural color, light, and contrast at the time of exposure. Any digital manipulation beyond levels, curves, color balance, contrast and brightness must be fully disclosed, including, but not limited to: cropping, digital stitching, cloning, airbrushing of any kind, alterations made to a scene to add or remove elements, etc.
Discovery of undisclosed digital manipulation will be grounds for removing a submission from further consideration.

Fabs Forns
04-14-2008, 01:34 PM
Well, if they want disclosure, then maybe. I would burn it though, rather than clone it.

Good luck!

Ken Kovak
04-15-2008, 08:26 AM
So where does Sharpening land on their allowed / not allowed list? It wasn't specifically mentioned.

Thanks,
Ken

Jim Poor
04-15-2008, 08:51 AM
Any idea what color space to submit in? sRGB or Prophoto?

Jim Poor
04-15-2008, 08:53 AM
So where does Sharpening land on their allowed / not allowed list? It wasn't specifically mentioned.

Thanks,
Ken

I'm guessing it is OK for the preliminary round of Low-res JPG files (but that is JUST a guess)

As for the final round:

High-resolution (400 ppi) uncompressed and unsharpened TIFF images, measuring 8000 pixels on the longest side, may be burned to as many CDs or DVDs as needed for the final round of judging, each labeled ‘HI-RES’.

Jim Poor
04-15-2008, 09:04 AM
Oops, one more question:

The native file size is not 8000 Pixels. Do they want us to upsize them or should it read "8000 pixels max" by chance?

Edit: I called, they actually want 8000 Pixels so they can judge if the image will hold up at the large printing sizes.

Now, I just have to figure out the best way to do it with what I have (LR, CS3) . . .

c.w. moynihan
04-15-2008, 10:04 AM

Thanks,
Ken

Shaprening yes for the 1000 pixel low-res jpg used for initial judging. The 400 dpi 8000 pixel on the long side tiff must be unsharpened.

c.w. moynihan
04-15-2008, 10:06 AM
Any idea what color space to submit in? sRGB or Prophoto?

I would submit the low-res jpg in sRGB and the unsharpened tiff in Adobe RGB.

c.w. moynihan
04-15-2008, 10:07 AM
Regarding how to make dislosures for adjustments other than the allowable w/o dislosure, the editor Bob Tope said to me:

Good question. Yes, full disclosure is required. The best way is to create a Microsoft Word document and make a list of your images by title, etc. and in your description, make full disclosure of any changes other than those allowed as described below. Embed this document on the CD as well, and include a printed copy with your entry form.

Jim Poor
04-15-2008, 10:23 AM
I called again and Bob told me "if you have the ability to use Prophoto color space, that is best for all the files."

john crookes
04-17-2008, 03:20 PM
I would not use prophoto for the low res images you may end up with a ton of posterization and banding when you try to downsize from 16 to 8 bit jpeg

Jim Poor
04-18-2008, 12:37 PM
I noticed that all the winning photos have narratives attached in the winners' gallery. I assume (read HOPE) that those narratives were provided after notifications of winners was made rather than along with the submissions.. Right??

Fabs Forns
04-18-2008, 02:34 PM
I noticed that all the winning photos have narratives attached in the winners' gallery. I assume (read HOPE) that those narratives were provided after notifications of winners was made rather than along with the submissions.. Right??

Yes, when they call you with the good news, they tell you what they need.

LouBuonomo
04-18-2008, 02:42 PM
Jim,

The NB team is rather small and the more info you can give them upfront the better. Their processing requirements change from year to year as does the notification process.

As far as filename it seems if you use the online entry your files get renamed and you only upload the JPG for 1st round judging. In years past if you made it into the later rounds they would ask you for the large TIFFs and RAW files for print and reproduction for the Smithsonian exhibit. If you are sending in a CD/DVD I would put everything on that (low and HiRez)

Be advised if you are selected for later round and final judging you are normally not given much time. That is why when I put toghether the camera club entry for NWPLI I TRY and get everything upfront to avoid delays.

They are really nice people to work, we were lucky enough to win 2 of their comps and be runners up 1 year and working with Bob, Steve and Gabby was a pleasure.

Lou

George DeCamp
04-18-2008, 02:52 PM
They are really nice people to work, we were lucky enough to win 2 of their comps and be runners up 1 year and working with Bob, Steve and Gabby was a pleasure.

Lou

Hey, we did OK didn't we! :D

Jim Poor
04-18-2008, 03:02 PM
Thanks. I guess I can just put a short narrative in the caption area. It will mean importing my [NBCONTEST] folder into LR and doing the additions to all three versions (Raw, Tiff, Jpeg) at the same time, but not too big a deal.

The magazine is actually right up the road from me, I might see if I can just take the material to them instead of mail it. Then I can scope the place out for a job too :D