PDA

View Full Version : Agave Sunset

Morkel Erasmus
02-23-2012, 12:20 AM
Another composition from our epic sunset 2 weeks ago when I staked out a local farmland.
There's not much in the way for interest for foregrounds where I live (just undulating grassy plains). These agave plants worked well.

I am off to the Kalahari for 2 weeks this weekend, so I will catch you on the flipside! :tinysmile_shy_t:
Keep on posting some great images and stay safe! :cheers:

Techs:
Nikon D3s with Nikkor 14-24mm f2.8 @ 14mm
f11 @ ISO-200
Blend of 2 images using luminosity masks

Jay Gould
02-23-2012, 12:50 AM
Morkel, wonderful image. If you could I would have moved either way to avoid centering the Agave.

Matt Fragale
02-23-2012, 07:38 AM
Wow, great colors! I love the composition as well. Nicely done and have a safe trip!

Angelika Schauf
02-23-2012, 12:54 PM
Nice sky colours and composition, Morkel.

Grady Weed
02-23-2012, 03:13 PM
I wonder if the scene were composed as a landscape format, then the agave plant would not be so eye grabbing. Just a thought. The colors none the less add to the scene and help along the image distracting the eye from the portrait view. I hope this makes sense.

Andrew McLachlan
02-23-2012, 10:59 PM
Hi Morkel, I love this one..one of my new favorites of yours. Great idea to get really low in the grass plains to create this perspective. Nice one!

mikedewitt
02-24-2012, 03:13 PM
I like the colors, but agree with the others on the composition.

Still a beautiful image!

Robert Amoruso
02-26-2012, 10:32 PM
Morkel, I feel similar to Jay. A move left to place the FG agave on the right side of the frame - that probably would have required you to back up some.

Andrew Aveley
03-01-2012, 03:45 PM
all nits cover Morks but definitely composition issue for me ,, but processing top class. Think its time for a boat ride down here and some blending work ;)

Jerry van Dijk
03-03-2012, 05:04 PM
Those colors are wonderful, Morkel. I don't have too much problems with the comp. I like how the agaves nicely interact and create some tension in the image. Robert's suggestion to step a little to the left may have improved the image. Those luminosity masks you've been using lately really work out well! I'm not familiar with them, but I'll definately look into them. Any good references?

Morkel Erasmus
03-12-2012, 09:01 AM
Thanks folks. I know the placement of the main agave would not suit everyone's tastes...

all nits cover Morks but definitely composition issue for me ,, but processing top class. Think its time for a boat ride down here and some blending work ;)

mmhmm - sound like a plan! :bg3:

Morkel Erasmus
03-12-2012, 09:05 AM
Those colors are wonderful, Morkel. I don't have too much problems with the comp. I like how the agaves nicely interact and create some tension in the image. Robert's suggestion to step a little to the left may have improved the image. Those luminosity masks you've been using lately really work out well! I'm not familiar with them, but I'll definately look into them. Any good references?

Jerry - check out Tony Kuyper (www.goodlight.us) - he has some awesome tutorials and actions that simplify working with lumo masks for sale, well worth it!