PDA

View Full Version : The b-b-bird, bird, bird, the bird's the word!

Luis Gonzalez Jr
02-21-2012, 11:10 PM
Taken on 2/18/2012 at the Los Angeles Arboretum. Once again, I have no idea what kind of bird this is. Maybe some of you can help me with this.

Taken with my Pentax K10D, Pentax 75-300mm @ 158mm, ISO-400, f/5.6, 1/750, Topaz NR on the background and some sharpening on the subject. Also brought down the whites (apparently they were blown). C&C welcomed. Holla!

http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh530/TattoodGeek/_IGP1098_web.jpg

Kerry Perkins
02-23-2012, 12:53 AM
Hi Luis, you got a Black-crowned Night Heron here. The whites were beyond saving here, as the image is overexposed by a couple of stops in the capture. In bright sun at ISO 400 and f/5.6 I would be at almost 1/4000 sec shutter speed. I like your thought on the crop, just wish the bg was a little cleaner. Keep them coming, we have plenty of opinions! :c3:

Doug West
02-23-2012, 01:10 AM
Luis...

It's a Black-crowned Night Heron.

Everything looks nice and sharp, but the bird still looks to bright for me.
His chest still seems blown on my monitor.

Doug

Jeff Cashdollar
02-25-2012, 12:38 AM
Louis,

Good comments above, how do you process in post, did you see the histogram. Are you shooting in M, AV TV or Program mode. As Kerry noted the shutter much to slow for whites in bright sunlight. Shot, check histogram, adjust and shoot again. As Kerry mentioned, the shutter needed to be well above 1/2000 to save the whites, always expose for the brights first !!
When you see a bright chested bird like this in full light - remember and say - how do I expose for the whites - need fast shutter and check histogram.

The shooting angle is very nice and the composition is well framed, keep em coming.

***** of course after you check the histogram, did I mention that above (smile).