PDA

View Full Version : New Posting Guidlines

James Shadle
01-04-2008, 11:00 PM
At BPN we listen to what our members want. It is our intention to implement as many member suggestions as possible.

So by popular demand we we are make two changes effective at 6AM 01/05/2008.

Image size has been increased to 800 pixels on the widest side.
Until our server catches up (very soon) we will leave the file size at 150kb.

Some of our members have been sizing images at 800 pixels for other uses.
This change will make posting images more convenient for them, as well as giving us all a little more room to work with.

Image posting frequency has changed as well. Your support has been outstanding.
But in order to deliver on our promise of "honest critiques, gently done" your image must be seen.

For the "Avian, Wild and Free Birds" Forum, the new posting frequencies are as follows.

Forum Contributors may post one image per forum every 48 hours.

Members may post one image per forum every 24 hours.
However, they may choose to post one image every 48 hours.

The image posting frequency of all other forums will remain every 24 hours.

This change will help insure that your image is seen and that it receives the attention it deserves.

Thanks James

Alfred Forns
01-04-2008, 11:02 PM
I like the changes James !!!!!

David Roach
01-05-2008, 02:50 PM
James,
Sorry, I just posted and hadn't read this. Let me ask, how do I become a member. I thought I had signed up and what is the difference between contributor and member? As a long time birder but relative newbie to photograpgy, I find this forum is fantatsic!!!!
Peace,
David

Larry Daniel
01-05-2008, 03:12 PM
Please clarify for me, the limit of one "posting" per forum for an image. Is that referring to images uploaded to birdphotographers.net servers only?

If one has their images hosted elsewhere does the one photo per forum rule still apply? Say for instance that one wishes to post photos to tell a story or show a sequence and they have them hosted elsewhere.

Jim Neiger
01-05-2008, 03:56 PM
Larry, the limit was changed to slow down the number of posts so there would be more time to see and comment on each person's photo. This means that the limit applies to all posted images regardless of where they are hosted. I hope this clears up any confusion.

hugh robateau
01-05-2008, 09:10 PM
James,
Sorry, I just posted and hadn't read this. Let me ask, how do I become a member. I thought I had signed up and what is the difference between contributor and member? As a long time birder but relative newbie to photograpgy, I find this forum is fantatsic!!!!
Peace,
David

I have the same question, and I'm waiting for a response to yours.

JH Tugs
01-05-2008, 09:23 PM
Apologies if I'm giving misinformation, but I believe everybody joins as a Contributor - but your rights on the forum are limited - e.g. try viewing somebody's profile - it probably blocks you.

When you pay and click on the link to take you back to the forum, it seems that you become a BPN Member (i.e. the system knows you have paid), and those restrictions are lifted. This is an immediate change - or at least was for me.

On previous sites I've run, we had an issue with taking payments via Paypal, which would occur when, after you completed your payment, you don't click on the button that offers to take you back to the site that sent you there. That button, when I was using it, is how paypal re-notifies the originating site that you have actually completed your transaction. Not sure if that's still the case with the paypal payment system (I have shut my sites down now) but as a result of that experience, I _always_ choose that option on the confirmation page to make sure.

Admins please correct if wrong!

James Shadle
01-06-2008, 04:39 AM
Hugh,
Just click the "membership" button at the top of the page.
It will guide you the rest of the way.
Thanks for joining!

James Shadle
01-06-2008, 04:42 AM
J H,
Once you join, all forum restrictions(and there are not a lot) are automaticlly lifted.
So far no issues with paypal. It is working very well.

Thanks James

Roman Kurywczak
02-02-2008, 09:13 AM
Hi James. How do I post a Seminar, featuring Art Morris and Rick Sammon on April 5th, on the website? I just joined today

Glenn Price
03-03-2008, 09:49 PM
What about the 150k limit if your image is hosted somewhere else?

Thanks!

Blake Shadle
03-05-2008, 12:11 AM
What about the 150k limit if your image is hosted somewhere else?

Thanks!

Hi, Glenn. Sorry for the delayed response. Right now we're asking everyone not to exceed 150KB when posting a third-party hosted image. This is to keep things consistent, and to make sure someone with a slower connection doesn't get stuck downloading a 350KB image ;)

Thanks,

Blake