PDA

View Full Version : Theme ...and don't come back without a fish.

Bill Dix
02-21-2012, 11:45 AM
By the time I got almost to the end of the drive at Ding Darling, the light was getting pretty harsh. I wish I had gone straight here and skipped the rest, for what it was worth early that morning. The next two frames have the talons clear of the nest, and better wing position; but I liked the juxtaposition of the two birds in this frame.

D7000, 500f4, ISO 500, 1/2000s @ f.7.1 manual, tripod

Vikram Agrawal
02-21-2012, 12:22 PM
Wonderful catch Bill. great sharpness and exposure. I wonder if having a bit more canvas on the left would look better...although it's pretty good as it is. well done.

Randy Stout
02-21-2012, 01:22 PM
Bill:

Glad you found something worthwhile at Ding. It has been so disappointing my last few trips.

I do like the inclusion of the two birds, I think it adds to the story. The light angle has given some shadowed areas, but perhaps a sliver of dodging would even it out.

I think the large stick on the right balances the mass of the osprey out, and balance is normally a good thing, but because I see this image as about motion, and moving out to the left, I did a recrop to eliminate the big stick and added a little canvas to the left for room to fly into (as Vikram suggested). The image now has most of the mass concentrated on the right, but I think the negative space on the left helps, and the different crop adds a little 'tension' to the image consistent with the action, at least for me.

I don't mind cropping off part of the lower bird, since its rear is already obscured by the nest.

I love fiddling with composition. Just an alternative view here!

Cheers

Randy

Bill Dix
02-21-2012, 01:40 PM
Randy, thanks for taking the time. As you suggest, I did leave the stick in for 'balance'. But your repost does make the image much more dynamic, and puts more emphasis on the bird in flight. I like it.

I did a considerable about of dodging and burning on the image to try and mitigate the harsh light (especially on the rear bird who was shaded by the bird in flight, and on the underwing), but wasn't sure where to stop once I got going. I could take it further, I suppose. Or go back earlier in the morning (which would mean another trip to Florida :S3:)

EzhilSuresh
02-21-2012, 02:27 PM
Bill, like the take off shot. Sharp and very good details. I like Randy's reposted image, makes the bird really stand out.