PDA

View Full Version : Portland Headlight #2

Grady Weed
04-11-2008, 06:37 AM
Canon EOS 5D, Shooting Date/Time 4/9/2008 05:51:10, Tv(Shutter Speed) 5Sec. Av(Aperture Value) F22, Evaluative metering, Exposure Compensation +1, ISO 100, Lens: EF28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, Focal Length: 28.0 mm, Image size 4368 x 2912, Image Quality: RAW, Flash Off, White Balance Auto, AF mode: One-Shot AF, Picture Style: Landscape. From tripod with cable release.

My goals were the same as the other post, just to get out and experience the excitement of the morning's sunrise and take a few images. I relish seeing creation. the fresh salt air and the thunderous roar of the waves is exhilarating and refreshing. Let me know what you think and thanks for looking.

Roman Kurywczak
04-11-2008, 12:59 PM
Hey Grady,
I love being out there too..even if I don't get the shot! I see it's from the "other side". Compositionally I like it. I think as I mentioned in the previous post....that HDR (c'mon Michael..........do a educational post) or the ND filter would have brought out the morning colors even more....and more detail in the FG. I did a little research for you on filters.....the Lee resin filter (which I own but am "upgrading") in the 4x6 size..0.9 density (3 stops) and soft edge......$95. You can handhold these things because of their size in front of the lens.....and works on all you own.....don't buy the adapter stuff! Singh Ray...top of the line glass (my upgrade)...same specs........$160.....will work wonders on such images with the high contrast. You'll have to do even less work in HDR if the sky is over the 3 stops..by simply using the filter. If it's only 2 stops.......hold the filter higher in front of the lens.....all is good........just watch the fingers in the screen! Guess how I learned that one in the film days???
Roman

Robert Amoruso
04-11-2008, 10:17 PM
I agree with Roman's suggestions on this one regarding the filter and sky colors.

Composition is good, I like it.