PDA

View Full Version : Balancing Act

Julie Kenward
02-20-2012, 08:03 PM
Another from my Dutch Iris I bought at the grocery store this weekend...this one is also indoor with on and off camera lighting. I've been using two table top lamps, an on camera flash and a few other various stand/strobe lights to mix it up a little. I don't really know what I'm doing but I sure am having a blast!

Canon 40D, EF 100mm macro
f18 @ 120th, ISO 200
Handheld, Evaluative Metering
Processed in CS5 and added a slight Orton effect action to bring out the softness a bit more. I also cleaned up some flash residue and trimmed off a piece of the stem.

Ken Childs
02-22-2012, 08:10 AM
Hey Jules, technically this looks great and the comp is fantastic! Unfortunately, at least for my tastes, this otherwise beautiful flower looks kind of messy when viewed from this angle. I'll be curious to hear what others have to say.

Grahame Hamblin
02-22-2012, 03:46 PM
My 5 cents worth The distance between flower and stem too great. I would have cut a piece out and glued it back together or used a piece of wire to hold the 2 pieces together. (tongue in cheek) But then that may be frowned on. Other wise a great image with great lighting.
Grahame

Steve Maxson
02-23-2012, 12:14 PM
Hi Jules. Another beauty from the "technical" aspect - as Ken notes above. For me, the angle of the stem makes it look like the flower is drooping (though the blossom looks pristine). Just a matter of taste, I guess, but in terms of aesthetics I prefer your prior post. :S3: It looks like you are having a lot of fun with these flowers and I hope to see more of these images.