PDA

View Full Version : Great Egret nest

David Gancarz
02-19-2012, 12:36 PM
This from Gatorland. The morning was overcast with nice soft light. I experimented with a new PP technique to apply a -80 brightness adjustment layer to darken the entire image, then used a black brush on the layer mask to bring back the brightness selectively on the subject. I'm liking the effect of having a spotlight on the egret, its agrettes and nest while keeping the viewer's eye away from the foliage in the background.

Date/Time Original : 2012:02:18 09:15:48
Camera Model Name : NIKON D300
Lens ID : AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D IF-ED
Shutter Speed : 1/320
Aperture : 6.3
ISO : 400
Focus Distance : 10.00 m
Exposure Program : Aperture-priority AE
Exposure Compensation : -1/3
Flash Source : SB700 w/ BB
Flash Mode : Fired, External
Flash Exposure Compensation : -2 stops

Doug Brown
02-19-2012, 01:56 PM
The vignetting looks good, and I like that the eggs are visible. I'd prefer a bit more space on the left and up top.

Bill Dix
02-19-2012, 02:06 PM
Interesting technique. Works nicely here. I like the pose, and the eggs. Yes to more space top and left.

David Gancarz
02-19-2012, 04:31 PM
The problem with Gatorland (and this is a classic good problem to have), is the birds are so close. At 300mm, DX format, and me backed up as far as I could get — this image was full frame. While shooting this series of images, another egret in full breeding regalia had the audacity to land on the boardwalk railing 5-feet in front of me (blocking my shot). The only rational reaction to such a thing is to laugh! (and take a picture of said interloper). A wood stork landed IN the boardwalk and hung around for a short while before hopping into the marsh to pick up nesting sticks. What a treasure is this place.

Karl Egressy
02-19-2012, 04:41 PM
Nice pose and exposure. Great to see the eggs.