PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Birds North of Tampa

Maureen Allen
02-18-2012, 08:51 PM
Due to some physical constraints I've been experiencing lately, I'm not able to travel very far or walk long distances (carrying equipment, at least.) I live about 90 miles north of Tampa, not far from Crystal River. I'm looking for some good birding spots between where I am and Tampa that are reasonable for a day trip. (Ft DeSoto is great, but it's a little far to drive there and back in one day.) I've been to a few spots near Spring Hill, but not much south of there. I wonder if anyone is familiar enough with the area to give me some pointers. Thanks!

Mike Nardini
02-20-2012, 09:03 PM
I have been unable to make a trip there but was told two weeks ago that the Homosassa landfill on 44 has been good recently for bald eagles.

Maureen Allen
02-20-2012, 09:41 PM
That's a great idea, Mike. Thanks. I haven't been over to the landfill in a couple of years and had forgotten how good it can be for eagles.

Mark Fuge
02-21-2012, 08:28 AM
Hi Maureen,

I may have to try that as well. Never been there, except to dump the trash! :w3

Another place I want to get back to is Cedar Key. There were prospects there the last time we were there, last month, but no great action yet other than Gulls and Pelican downtown. Know that is north of your shoot zone, but in case you are looking farther.

Make A Great Day!

Mark

Maureen Allen
02-21-2012, 10:37 AM
Hi Maureen,

I may have to try that as well. Never been there, except to dump the trash! :w3

Another place I want to get back to is Cedar Key. There were prospects there the last time we were there, last month, but no great action yet other than Gulls and Pelican downtown. Know that is north of your shoot zone, but in case you are looking farther.

Make A Great Day!

Mark

Cedar Key is a wonderful spot, Mark. I love it there. I'll have to go find the scrub jays again :S3: And clam chowder for lunch -- YUM!

I was just hoping to find a few new (to me) spots that aren't so far away that I need to stay the night or walk long distances to find the birds. I may head back to Gatorland as well, though I have some mixed feelings about that.

Maybe I'll run into you at the landfill!!

Robert Strickland
02-27-2012, 04:49 PM
Maureen,
I went to Pine Island last week when my daughter was down. she went to sun tan and i went to sgoot birds. I found several different bird there. Black Skimmers, Gulls, Dunlins, Ruddy turnstone and it was easy walking.

Maureen Allen
02-27-2012, 05:28 PM
Thanks Bob :S3: