PDA

View Full Version : Green Imperial Pigeon

Munish Kaushik
02-18-2012, 02:41 AM
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7180/6895159471_fe2ea6f9dc_b.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/munishk/6895159471/)

Canon EOS 7D, Canon EF 100-400 F4.5-5.6

1/1000 @ f7.1, ISO 1600, Spot metering, focal length - 400mm

Kept the ISO high to get a good SS as I was without a tripod support & light was low as it sitting in shade with some light falling on the bird.

Regards,
Munish Kaushik
www.facebook.com/Kaushik.Munish

EzhilSuresh
02-18-2012, 03:40 AM
Munish, nice head portrait. Just wondering how you got a pitch black background. Personally, I'd try and bring some brightness to the eye to make it pop out. The watermark is quite distracting perhaps you might want to consider moving it elsewhere in the frame.

Munish Kaushik
02-18-2012, 04:36 AM
Suresh - As I mentioned, the bird was in shade (read as heavy shade) I switched to spot metering to meter just the bird. Surroundings had around 1.5 - 2 stops lower light. And after I processed the RAW I decreased a tiny bit of shadows to get pitch black. I am not really sure as to what & how should I do to bring some brightness to the eye. Can you pls help me there? I will rework on it.

EzhilSuresh
02-18-2012, 04:50 AM
Munish, regarding the selective exposure adjustment, it depends on the software you use. For example, in Adobe Lightroom, you might use something like Adjustment Brush. It is relatively easy to do. Give it a try. Other users may give you better options.

Arthur Morris
02-18-2012, 05:58 AM
Made a Quick Mask of the darker grey head in CS-5 and pulled up the curve. Darkened the pupil and lightened the iris also with a Quick Mask (all via Cruves on a layer: Control M)>

All as described in detail in Digital Basics (https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=252).

Best advice: avoid photographing birds in mixed light....

EzhilSuresh
02-18-2012, 06:04 AM
Munish, you can't have much better comment and advice than from the Master himself. I'd consider myself as a lottery winner if Artie visits one of my posts. Artie's Digital Basics would be an ideal starter.

Munish Kaushik
02-18-2012, 10:36 AM
Thanks a lot Guru ji & Suresh.

Guru ji - it looks a lot better with the adjustments you have done. I am trying to adjust my master copy with your suggestions. Lets see how far I can go.

Regards,
Munish

Daniel Cadieux
02-18-2012, 12:47 PM
Yep, its the lighting that gave you trouble here. In full even shade some flash would have helped, but with mixed lighting that is not the best situation. Looks like a beautiful pigeon though, and lots of nice details on the feathers.

Raymond Lee
02-18-2012, 02:18 PM
I really love the details on the bird. I wasn't a fan of the shadows on the head, and Artie cleaned it up nicely. I would take Artie's advice.

Arthur Morris
02-18-2012, 06:49 PM
Thanks a lot Guru ji & Suresh. Guru ji - it looks a lot better with the adjustments you have done. I am trying to adjust my master copy with your suggestions. Lets see how far I can go.
Regards, Munish

You are welcome Munish. Whether or not you get stuck, you would benefit from getting a copy of Digital Basics and likely ABP I & II too :).

Munish Kaushik
02-20-2012, 04:11 AM
Guru ji - Sure. I have ordered it at BAA. waiting for it to arrive. Thanks always. :-)

Arthur Morris
02-20-2012, 04:37 AM
Good plan and thanks. Jim will be in in a few minutes. I am in Tokyo.