PDA

View Full Version : White-headed Pigeon (Columba leucomela) Jourama Falls Queensland

Rod Warnock
02-16-2012, 10:32 PM
White-headed Pigeon (Columba leucomela) Jourama Falls Queensland Australia
Canon EOS 7D Lens 400mm L USM ISO400 F8.0 1/640 flash 19 August 2011 11.12am
Found that Jourama Falls is an excellent spot for a number of species especially Fruit Doves, Pied Monarchs, Yellow-breasted Boatbills, Azure Kingfishers etc. It is an easy drive from either Ingham, Paluma or Townsville.. don't overlook it. I mention this aspect as many photographers visit Queensland from overseas in chase of holidays and also wildlife.
The White-headed Pigeon landed as I was taking some images of Figbirds and Leaden Flycathers and was more cooperative than other times I have tried for this species.
Thanks for viewing
Best regards
Rod Warnock

Richard Stern
02-17-2012, 07:44 AM
Hi,

I'm not usually a fan of square crops, and I wonder about extending canvas a bit to the left, to give the bird more space to look into. . The bird is sharp and well exposed, and there's enough background and habitat to give context to it. The dark area on the right gives depth. The oof branch behind the tail is a bit distracting, but not a major problem for me. Well done.

Richard

Richard

Daniel Cadieux
02-17-2012, 09:39 AM
Beautiful pigeon, the eye is quite striking! Sharp and well exposed. I like the overall wooded feel, but wish the bigger branch in ULC was not there. Although I'll likely never visit the area thanks for letting folks know of the location...good tip for sure.

jack williamson
02-17-2012, 04:11 PM
Good looking pigeon Rod, nice and sharp. I don't mind the environment, the flash work looks good but it was right on the verge of being too much.

Jack

Robert Holguin
02-18-2012, 05:47 PM
Great looking pigeon. Real nice pose, exposed real well, and real nice detail.
Well done.