PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D5100???

Hazel Grant
02-14-2012, 09:23 PM
I currently have a Nikon D40x with the 18-135 lens and also a Tamron 70-300 lens. I'm thinking of moving to another camera because I want to improve bird and wildlife photos as well as sports shots of my grandkids. I also would like to venture into high def. My local shop has recommended the Nikon D5100. Does anyone have experience with this camera and/or recommendations?

Grant Atkinson
02-16-2012, 04:34 PM
Hi Hazel
I am a Canon shooter but if the d5100 fits your budget then it will be a very big upgrade from the D40X. The D5100 has the same excellent 16megapixel sensor in it as its big brother, the D7000, and it takes great pictures. You will get better quality images, as well as all the other benefits that a modern, high-resolution sensor will bring. The rear screen is also a big improvement on your old camera, and I am sure that battery life, buffer size and general ease of use will be superior. Obviously the video is a big advantage too over your older camera. If your budget can stretch to it, the Nikon D7000 shares its sensor with the D5100, but offers better autofocus, specially for fast-moving subjects, much faster frame rate per second, bigger, more comfortable control surfaces, better viewfinder and much more robust construction all around.
cheers
Grant

Hazel Grant
02-16-2012, 06:05 PM
thanks. I'll check out the 7000 too. I have come to understand through some internet research that the 5100 had only minimal HDR capabilities and this is something I am really interested in. Appreciate your input!!!!!!!

Grant Atkinson
02-17-2012, 12:42 AM
Hi Hazel
I am not too sure of differences between the 510 and 7000 in the HDR department, as I usually do the hdr processing on my computer. I do know the 7000 has quite a lot of options in terms of what you can get out of it via quite a deep menu system. The 7000 is also a very responsive camera to shoot, with one of the shortest shutter lags out there, and has a nice bright and big viewfinder, both of which make it a joy to work with. Enjoy your shopping!

James Shadle
02-17-2012, 12:55 AM
The D7000 is superior in virtually every way if compared to the D5100.
It's a much faster camera as well.