PDA

View Full Version : Spring is Springing Up All Around

Ed Vatza
04-10-2008, 09:17 PM
I swear these violets weren't there two days ago.

Image made with Canon XT, Sigma 150mm f/2.8 Macro lens, and Canon 430 EX Flash with LumiQuest Soft Box all handheld.

It was a tough decision, I have one image that I made at f/8 that has a little more depth of field and more definition to the background and this one...

1/200 sec at f/4; ISO 400; FEC -1

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/EdV_02/0804__173.jpg

John Cooper
04-11-2008, 04:43 AM
Hi Ed - yes I always find it a good idea to experiment with varied apertures. I am leaning towards F8 here if that was sufficient to bring the left and right petals into focus - I think that would improve the image IMO. Whites on top petals look just a little hot on my monitor. Lovely colours!

Ed Vatza
04-11-2008, 05:15 AM
Thanks John. I ruminated over the AV. The f/8 really doesn't bring those petal into focus either. Its the curvature that does it.

Here is the f/8 image. I believe it is 1/80 sec at f/8.

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s1/EdV_02/0804__167.jpg

Mike Moats
04-11-2008, 05:26 AM
Hey Ed, F/8 may have added more focus on the flower but I think the added DOF woud have made the BG to cluttered. Always explore your BG options from different angles as you may find one with a less cluttered BG which will allow you to stop down for more DOF on the flower. I have a image that I show in my workshops that was shot at three different angles of the same flower and all three BG's are totally different. One of the angles allowed for more DOF on the flower without including as much BG distraction.

Ed Vatza
04-11-2008, 06:20 AM
Hey Ed, F/8 may have added more focus on the flower but I think the added DOF woud have made the BG to cluttered. Always explore your BG options from different angles as you may find one with a less cluttered BG which will allow you to stop down for more DOF on the flower. I have a image that I show in my workshops that was shot at three different angles of the same flower and all three BG's are totally different. One of the angles allowed for more DOF on the flower without including as much BG distraction.

Thanks for the tip, Mike. Always appreciate any help I can get! :D In this case, this seemed to be the best angle given several factors including the direction the flower was facing. Also these are so low (just barely above grass level) that the BG seemed pretty much the same from all angles. Maybe I didn't look hard enough! The good news is, weather permitting, I can easily go back and look again - more closely this time.

Thanks again, Mike and keep the feedback coming. Much appreciated.

Fabs Forns
04-11-2008, 04:02 PM
Agree on the image being a little hot.
Experimenting with different apertures is always a good idea if you have the time :)

Mike Moats
04-11-2008, 04:17 PM
Hey Ed, sometimes the BG just doesn't work no matter what angle. I have walked into a field of flowers only to walk back out because I couldn't find that one flower that offered the BG I wanted.

Ed Vatza
04-11-2008, 07:02 PM
Fabs, Mike,

Thanks for the critique and comments. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and provide your tips. Fabs, I knew I had pushed the envelope a bit to the warm side but didn't really think the white were hot. Maybe its my screen.

Hey Ed, sometimes the BG just doesn't work no matter what angle. I have walked into a field of flowers only to walk back out because I couldn't find that one flower that offered the BG I wanted.

Great advice in there Mike. I was just so pleased to finally see some flowers that I couldn't pass up the opportunity. Hopefully as more wildflowers bloom, I will settle down a bit. :) Heck you should see the images I didn't post. :D I became enamored by the tiny flowers on the penultimate weed - ground ivy. My wife works in a garden center and constantly gets folks coming in wanting to buy something to kill it in their yards. And there I was trying to keep from sliding down the bank and in to the pond while making multiple images of the tiny delicate flowers!