Canon 600mm F4L IS USM + 1.4X

1/1250 @ F5,6
1/3 EV
Spot metering
ISO 600
WB 5800K

Rachel Hollander
02-11-2012, 08:02 AM
Brendon - Nice low pov and eye contact with a pleasing bg. Sharp with good detail too. My only nit is that the jackal's body looks to have a bit too much red to me.

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
02-11-2012, 12:07 PM
Hi Brendon, lets see what feedback you get on this, as you know my thoughts and it will be good to see others take on this through a different pair of eyes. :bg3:

Shreyas Mantri
02-11-2012, 05:43 PM
Agree with Rachel on the reds, may work better with a little desaturation. Love the sharpness, angle, especially the pose and eye contact!

dankearl
02-11-2012, 07:20 PM
Nice shooting angle and DOF.
I can't really judge the colors as I have not seen one.
The BG is attractive.

Brendon Cremer
02-12-2012, 03:00 AM
Thanks all for you great comments, here is a re post with some selective desaturation in the reds, these jackals in the kalahari do however have slightly reder coats due to the rich red sands. Let me know what you think of the RP.

Steve Kaluski
02-12-2012, 03:08 AM
these jackals in the kalahari do however have slightly reder coats due to the rich red sands.

Might have been worth adding this in on the OP Brendon as it's good to know, however, I cannot see too much difference in the two?

Marc Mol
02-12-2012, 05:32 AM
You've captured the cowling stalk of the jackal superbly here Brendon, love the eye contact as well.
TFS

Russell Johnson
02-12-2012, 05:53 AM
On a laptop so can not comment on colour accuracy.

Would agree with comments on POV, DOF etc.

I do find the composition a little to centred for my own tastes. I would crop from the top left hand side, without making the frame feel too tight.

Brendon Cremer
02-12-2012, 07:58 AM
Thanks very much all, Steve indeed i should have mentioned that in the OP, my apologies for that. Perhaps someone may like a go at the image to present the colours differently, please feel free to go ahead, would be nice to see.

Steve Kaluski
02-12-2012, 08:54 AM
Perhaps someone may like a go at the image to present the colours differently, please feel free to go ahead, would be nice to see.

OK Brendon, taking into account the richness of the coat you mentioned, plus, I also looked at a few other things, WDYT. Obviously this is based on 'impression' rather than factual, plus on the MB pro, so it could also be slightly off and working from the OP which is never ideal. Might be worth looking at it in PS?

cheers
Steve

Brendon Cremer
02-12-2012, 01:08 PM
Thanks very much Steve, i do like it very much, would love to know what you did?

Steve Kaluski
02-12-2012, 01:25 PM
Hi Brendon, not a huge amount.

I just looked at the overall colour, did some sampling and adjusted the main colour, as I thought it was just too Saturated. Then based on your remark about the Jackels coat, I just refine it via Selective colour, Saturation, Levels, Brightness/Contrast with masks so I can be specific on key areas, I think the RAW has so much more to offer, as this is my own interpretation. I also used a pre mixed setting of my own based on Canons colour system to refine even more if required. I'm not saying this is right as it's all subjective, I also have to assume certain colours too.

Personally Brendon I think if you get the WB, Col Temp, Tint, the rest is simple, less is more in my book. :bg3:

cheers
Steve

Marc Mol
02-12-2012, 04:40 PM
I think if you get the WB, Col Temp, Tint, the rest is simple, less is more in my book. :bg3:

Agree 100%:5

Brendon Cremer
02-13-2012, 02:54 AM
Thanks very much Steve, appreciate the effort. I think the problem originated with the incorrect WB.

Steve Kaluski
02-13-2012, 07:36 AM
No worries Brendon, if it helped at all, great, just knock on the door if you need anything else. :w3

Harshad Barve
02-22-2012, 09:41 PM
Steve's repost with sliver chopped from bottom for me ,
TFS