PDA

View Full Version : Face off

Santanu Banik
02-11-2012, 06:26 AM
Found this tiny chap in the garden - the head was less than 2mm in length. It was not co-operative enough to give me many shots. Managed to take two shots which was focus-stacked in ps. Comments and suggestions most welcome.
60D, MP-E @ 3x magnification, F/8, ISO 100, flash

http://www.frozenforeternity.com/images/data/media/4/_MG_8713_web.jpg

Steve Maxson
02-12-2012, 08:10 PM
Hi Santanu. It looks like you found quite a colorful bug and nice job getting in close with the MP-E lens! I like the head-on view and you have good sharpness on the eyes where you most need it. The lighting is dramatic, but for my tastes is too harsh and contrasty (as this is rather subjective, others may disagree :S3: ). You might be able to pull up some more detail in the dark side of the head. Your flash seems to be producing a very strong light that is giving you a lot of blown spectral highlights. Use of an effective diffuser on your flash should help soften the light and would give your image a more pleasing (IMO) appearance. :S3: I look forward to seeing more of your work!

Roman Kurywczak
02-14-2012, 05:33 PM
I too would like the shadows brought up like Steve. Consider toning down the OOF antennae too. I like that you went in really tight.....if you are going to do that...go bold like you did!

bhavya joshi
02-15-2012, 02:20 AM
Good suggestion given Above.. main things I like the head which comes in focus. Nice DOF you get...yes.. Little correction should be done as tell Above. Good to see colorful bug ..