PDA

View Full Version : Moon Rise, Cape May Beach

Morris Altman
02-10-2012, 07:58 PM
<o:p>http://morrisaltman.zenfolio.com/img/s7/v8/p142902370-5.jpg</o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
D70s + 80-400 VR @ 195mm, ISO 1600, 1/10, f 5.3<o:p></o:p>
I was walking along Cape May Beach after a bird shoot at Cape May state park in New Jersey when the moon came up bright and orange on this July evening in 2005. I could see the waves breaking on the jetty about ½ mile away and ran along the board walk till I reached and entrance to the beach and then ran about ¼ mile on the sand to line this photo up. When I was in the correct spot I dropped to one knee and used it as a brace for my elbow to take photos. I was breathing hard from running and held my breath to stop my body movement. The result was a noisy slightly soft image that I worked on for years. In 2009 my Photoshop skills had improved and I decided to try and process this image again. I used Nic Define to remove most of the noise and spun a round oval around the moon which I used as a mask to clone the sky to the edge effectively sharpening the Moon.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
Comments and suggestions welcome,<o:p></o:p>
Morris<o:p></o:p>

Roman Kurywczak
02-11-2012, 10:37 AM
Hey Morris,
I like the overall look of the iimage but for me, I wish the moon was a bit closer to the surf. I do wish the rocks in the FG were a touch sharper.....but the wave splash is very nice. Let's see what others chime in.

Brendan Dozier
02-11-2012, 07:02 PM
That orange moon is very cool, Morris, must have been awesome to see in person. I like the simplicity of the comp, Morris, and blue compliments the orange. Good suggestions from Roman.

Robert Amoruso
02-14-2012, 10:48 PM
Morris,

I feel that you need more DOF here to make this work. I like the idea and good catch of the wave (I appreciate the work you went through to get it), but the large FG softness is distracting.