PDA

View Full Version : Bittern Taken Inflight.

Don Davis
02-09-2012, 06:32 AM
http://targy.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v38/p167426768-4.jpg

On the edge of reedbed on a misty morning this Bittern was seen from reserve hide Far Ings Lincolnshire U.K. assuming it was going to take off i manged this inflight capture,using Canon mk3 300mm f2.8 plus 2.0ex handheld.
little work done in phototshop 30% crop Sharping / colour tweak.
s/s 1/800 F6.3. Iso 500.

Jeff Cashdollar
02-09-2012, 11:44 PM
Don,

Interesting picture but I am torn, on one hand it is not compelling and on the other a bit different. Lets see what others say. Seems like when we see a well lit eye and head area the picture is usually stronger. Do you have a flash and a better beamer attachment. Might help with color, detail and lighting on the subject.

As you know BIF can be difficult and HH at 600MM takes solid panning technique - keep em coming.

You sure know where the Bittern's are my friend.

Doug West
02-10-2012, 02:18 AM
I think one reason why I like this view is it gives me a little more detail on what the back of the Bittern
looks like. If he'd been flying at us, not as much.

Also agree with the lighting, an external flash probably would've done wonders. You still might
be able to tweak a little more out in PS by increasing the exposure 1/2 to 1 more.

Doug

John Chardine
02-10-2012, 08:12 AM
It does show the beautiful coloration on the back of the European Bittern. I think this species is still rare in the UK so extra-special of obtain images as you have Don. I think the image could be brightened up a bit. The main issue is that the bird is flying away from you. Ideally you want a BIF generally flying in your direction, not directly necessarily, but as said, in your general direction. This provides a good head angle too.

pat lillich
02-10-2012, 10:51 AM
Don, my great respect at getting such great clarity handholding the 300 with the 2x - and especially at 1/800 - awesome.

I love the better view of the legs and feet, and especially the ruffle of the feathers on the top of the wings. it looks like there is fog/mist - do you have any more of the frame above and to the left? it would be an enigmatic image showing what the bittern was disappearing into.