PDA

View Full Version : How do you carry your big glass in the field?

William Giokas
02-08-2012, 01:49 PM
I have a 500mm Nikor lens and when I go into the field I have it on a tripod and carry it on my shoulder. However, if it's a long hike say over a couple of miles the lens gets very heavy.
I was thinking of carrying the lens in a backpack. The only problem with this is I could miss some great shots because the lens is in the pack and not ready to use.
So how do most of you carry your big glass in the field? thanks Bill

arash_hazeghi
02-08-2012, 02:23 PM
I just shoulder carry my rig, no tripod, no backpack, just bare lens and camera. Anything that adds weight and restricts your movement will cause you to miss some great shots.

Mike Nardini
02-08-2012, 03:04 PM
I can carry my 500 f/4 in the rear pocket of my Vested Interest Khumbu vest. This frees either hand to carry the tripod. This arrangement is less tiring for me than having the lens mounted to the tripod an on my shoulder (even with a shoulder pad strapped to the tripod).

Don Railton
02-08-2012, 11:22 PM
I walk up to 5 miles carrying a Mk4 & 500F4 lens simply holding the lens by the foot rotated around above the lens body. Did this twice last weekend and have nothing to show for it... The rig balances nicely there, if you leave your arm straight and just swap arms occasionally its not too bad weight wise and is immediately ready for whatever action appears. My only concern in doing this is getting a sweaty hand and loosing grip. This is easily countered by occasionally looking at the purchase receipt.

DON

Doug Schurman
02-09-2012, 12:57 AM
I carry my 500f4 with a black rapid strap. That allows me to be ready quickly while being comfortable. I also have use of both hands if I need them. I have a second camera with a 70-200 f2.8 on a cotton carrier and have binocs in a side holster. Many times I carry the tripod in the shortest position so I can shoot kneeling. If I'm going a ways I usually have a light backpack with additional items I "might need".

Doug West
02-09-2012, 01:02 AM
If the walk to the starting point is long, I'll start with my lens in my Tenba transport,
sling it over my shoulder and carry. Then I'll setup.

After that, I just carry my 600 and tripod over the shoulder. If the distance gets to be to much, I just
set it down, take a little break, switch shoulders and start again.

Doug

Marina Scarr
02-10-2012, 08:30 AM
For longer distances I use the Lowepro 600 bag. It fits the 500 with TC and body. I can also include a few other things and hang the tripod with head on the side of the bag. I have walked up to 3 miles this way and it is very comfortable and non-restrictive. However, it wouldn't necessarily be convenient in all circumstances.

I also have a Vested Interest vest but opted out of getting the pocket in the back for the 500. @Mike...how does it work for you with the 500 in the back of the vest?

I am finding there is no perfect solution.

William Giokas
02-10-2012, 11:09 AM
I have the same bag but I usually put the lens over my shoulder. Most people do it this way .
However, I have not done any long hikes of over a mile with the big glass.
Bill

Roger Clark
02-10-2012, 05:04 PM
I am finding there is no perfect solution.

How about a porter that carries the lens and hands it to you when you need it?:w3

Roger

Tom Graham
02-11-2012, 03:54 AM
Ah yes, porters. In our treacherous trek through the dark mountainous jungle of Madifungi we had four porters carrying vital supplies. The porter carrying the double case of Gin slipped, dropped the Gin and all of it was smashed and lost. The poor porter ran off screaming from shock. And we had to spend the next five days living on nothing but food and water.
Tom
ps - RIP W C Fields

Don Railton
02-11-2012, 03:58 AM
Hi William

Roger has got the best solution...

the second best solution is either;
(1) stick it in a pack until you get to where you are going, and if a good shot 'pops up' on the way close your eyes tight and think of England or something similar.:t3
(2) Carry it the whole distance and if something does 'pop up' hope your arms have not gone numb and are still functioning good enough for the shot...

i think these are your only choices..

DON

Jim Neiger
02-11-2012, 10:09 AM
I use a gadget I made called the belt holster. It is simply a work belt from home depot with a leather pliers pouch attached to the belt and used like a holster. The lens foot goes in the holster. With this rig I can walk or run wihout holding on to the lens. This way both of my hands and arms are free and all of the weight is on my waist and legs. I can go for long distances this way without being uncomfortable. It really saves my back, shouldrs, and my upper body. The cost of the work belt and pliers pouch is about $25.

Justin C
02-11-2012, 04:19 PM
I carry a 500mm with 7D on a Gitzo 1548/Manfrotto 501 video head over the shoulder, usually with the bottom two sections of the tripod extended. I also carry a small Lowepro rucksack with a Canon 5D, 17-40mm, 24-105mm and sometimes a Canon 100-400mm. I mainly photograph deer and to not have the camera ready at a moments notice would mean many, many missed opportunities. I rarely walk less than five miles when out and about and will quite often walk up to nine miles, sometimes twice a day. Doing it on a regular basis isn't too bad and you quickly get used to it but the shoulder can ache a bit if I've not done it for a few weeks.

Mike Nardini
02-12-2012, 03:18 PM
Marina: I like the large pocket on the back of the Khumbu vest to carry the 500 for long distances (to me that means anything more than a mile). Either the lens or the tripod can fit in the pocket but not both and, since the lens weighs more, it is generally in the pocket until arriving at the site. Less distance will find the lens atop the tripod and over the shoulder with fairly frequent switches to the other shoulder or, in the alternative, remove the 500 from the tripod and carry by the foot.