PDA

View Full Version : ID Help

Jim Crosswell
02-08-2012, 12:51 PM
I think this is a Social Flycatcher but I am not sure. It was taken in Costa Rica on the carribean slope near the Nicaraguan border. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Dan Brown
02-08-2012, 01:54 PM
Really nice shot! The head turn makes the bill look a little short, but I think you are correct, Jim. Social. The dark face contrasting with the crown seem to fit social, opposed to gray-capped, which seems to be the closest match. But, I am no CR flycatcher authority!! (or any kind of authority!):S3:

Jim Crosswell
02-08-2012, 02:04 PM
Thanks Dan. The bill is short but the Social Flycatcher works for the rest.

Roy Priest
02-08-2012, 04:14 PM
Jim, I just spent 12 days in Ecuador so now I am quite the expert on tropical birds.:bg3::bg3: Can you remember if the bird had a dark nape or did the white go all the way around in a ring? If so check out White-ringed flycatcher.
Beautiful shot.

Paul Guris
02-09-2012, 10:15 AM
My tropical experience is limited but I'd lean towards Social as well. I think the head angle makes the bill look shorter than it actually is. The only other species I know of that might look somewhat like this is Gray-capped Flycatcher but I think the white eyeline is too strong for that species. After reading Roy's post I did a quick lookup on White-ringed Flycatcher and I think this could be a reasonable match as well. Time to pull out the Costa Rica guide and start digging into the details, range, and habitat to nail down the ID. It's really amazing how many species there are of flycatchers with yellow bellies, no wingbars, and striped heads.

Jim Crosswell
02-09-2012, 02:13 PM
Thanks Roy and Paul for your time and information. I am not sure if the white ring went all the way around.

Mike Osborne
02-15-2012, 05:16 AM
I looked up Social Flycatcher in my Guide to the Birds of Mexico and Northern Central America, Howell and Webb. This bird is consistant with the description of Social Flycatcher and no mention was made of White-ringed Flycatcher. I check out some photos of the White-ringed on other websites and find the bill on this bird to be much larger than is specified for Social in my guide or to match this photo, the bill is much more stout on the White-ringed as well. I as well am no authority but I do have a guide and enjoy a challenge. Very nice photo as well Jim.

Mike Haley
02-19-2012, 04:52 PM
IMO, the wingbars are too indistinct for Social Flycatcher.

Regards
Mike