PDA

View Full Version : Honeygold fake city in my own city

Jack Breakfast
02-08-2012, 12:31 PM
Greetings folks,
I've been posting a few bird-related pictures but have recently become compulsively interested in this horrible strip of condominiums in Toronto's southwest, by the water. Photographing them at sunset with a medium telephoto lens the other night, I am posting this one for your enjoyment and visual perusal...
Shot with the Canon 7D, 70-200 f4 + 1.4 at 246mm, iso 200, 1/500, f8. Other than a slight levels tweak, I've kept the photo as it was shot.
Many thanks for your consideration. As a matter of possible interest, I'll say that photographing birds and buildings within walking distance of my apartment has given me a new love of the city I've watched go down the proverbial tubes over the last 10 years or so...others would wholeheartedly disagree with my analysis, but let's get back on topic...photographing buildings and sky at sunset with a medium telephoto is great fun! To conclude: if any of you fine folks have any post-processing suggestions, I'd be glad to hear them. Generally speaking I like to leave these pictures alone but shots in this vein could obviously be treated in so many different ways...

Don Railton
02-08-2012, 07:08 PM
Hi Jack

I like simple shots like this but I think they need (I find myself looking for) a point of interest and I cannot find one in this shot... I would have loved to see someone standing on one of those balcony's or a rooftop. I also would remove the stack of floating bricks on the LHS border and some of the sky to the portions of one third building and two third sky...

DON

Robert Amoruso
02-08-2012, 09:39 PM
I feel you need to accentuate the graphic look here more Jack.

To go that crop most of the sky out into a pano crop. Right side border OK but I would crop the left side at the top of the tall left building left of the slanted part just before the vertical building face. This will strengthen the monolithic look of the scene by not having a drop-off on the left side. Lastly, process the buildings as a true silhouette, black.

Jack Breakfast
02-09-2012, 01:51 AM
Thank you Don and Robert. Interesting ideas, and I certainly agree with some of them! Many thanks for having a look...I shall revisit the image and keep your ideas in mind...your criticism is much appreciated...

Jerry van Dijk
02-10-2012, 02:32 PM
Hi Jack, I feel your pain. I'm still puzzled about why urban development always seems to go hand in hand with lack of taste. Don and Robert already covered my remarks about the image.

Brendan Dozier
02-10-2012, 03:35 PM
Like the bold graphic look to this, Jack, and love the warm color of sky and subtle gradient. Good suggestions above to make it even stronger.

Roman Kurywczak
02-11-2012, 10:28 AM
Excellent suggestions above that will help improve this image.

Jack Breakfast
02-11-2012, 10:51 AM
Thank you folks...it's funny to be so attached to the obviously distracting bits on the left...you're quite right, though...I've taken them out, cropped some off the top and darkened the blacks...the photo is stronger now...no need to re-post...thanks again for the most helpful suggestions

Jack Breakfast
02-11-2012, 10:53 AM
I'll add this: I really appreciate the time people take on this forum...it's much appreciated. We all can learn this way, very nice indeed.

Morkel Erasmus
02-11-2012, 04:14 PM
You received some good suggestions above, Jack. It seems you are happy with the (unseen by us) reworked file so I don't think I will add much here, except my apologies for only getting to this thread now :w3.

I personally prefer to keep human structures out of my landscape imagery, but this forum is for travel images and cityscapes as well so I have to "broaden my horizons" as it were. With silhouetted cityscapes/skylines I do prefer a bit more "zig-zag" (ie tall buildings interspersed between short ones).

Jack Breakfast
02-11-2012, 10:51 PM
Morkel Erasmus; different strokes all the time! Your comments are highly appreciated by y.t.
Here is the quick reworking of the image. If anyone has any YEAS OR NAYS I'd be delighted to hear them. I like zig-zags too and this image is part of a long and tiresome series of similar yet different pictures...