PDA

View Full Version : The High Sierra

Jeffrey Sipress
04-10-2008, 01:37 PM
This is one of my favorite images from one of my numerous backpack trips into Dusy Basin, from the Eastern Sierra approach. It's been published in a calendar and sold prints of it, too.

Made with a Canon 1Ds, 16-35L, and a GND to tone down the very relatively bright distant range. I probably stopped down to f20 or so for DOF. CF tripod, too.

http://machinearts.com/fredphotos/dusy2.jpg

Paul Burgess
04-10-2008, 01:40 PM
Wow!! This is a stunner! Love how the colours in this go together so well.

Roman Kurywczak
04-10-2008, 02:10 PM
Hi Jeffrey,
This one is a winner! No nits here! Only do me a favor if you have it..........post specs so others can learn....especially if a filter was used:D!
Love it,
Roman

Chris Ober
04-10-2008, 02:27 PM
Impressive view. Awesome shot!

Harold Davis
04-10-2008, 03:07 PM
that is beautiful!! congrats on the shot.

BillPelzmann
04-10-2008, 07:49 PM
WOW. Classic Sierra image. Doesn't get much better than this!
I love the foreground compostion & light.

David Kennedy
04-10-2008, 11:09 PM
Very good use of foreground elemeents to lead the eye into the image. The only thing I might have done differently would have been a slight pan to the left to include more of the submerged end of the rock on the lower-left edge. However, it passed the "pen test" (people will write a check for it), so what difference does it make? :D Nicely done!

Lance Peters
04-11-2008, 12:41 AM
Wow - congrats beautiful shot.

lance

Gerald_Gilligan
04-11-2008, 01:22 AM
Jeffrey,
This image has the magic moment captured...The light is amazing !
Could you tell me what month this image was taken?
Thanks
Jerry

chris Bycroft
04-11-2008, 04:47 AM
Amazing photo Jeffrey. Looks a great location, I always like seeing photos with alpine tarns in them. The rock in the foreground does not bother me, as it is the darker part of the rock that is on the edge of the photo. I think that would have been different if it was the bright part of the rock.

Cheers

Chris

Robert Amoruso
04-11-2008, 05:45 AM
A really great image and I can see why it is a favorite as well as one that has sold well.

Before reading David's comments I had the same thought, just a little bit more on the left to capture the submerged edge of that rock - but that is a small consideration because as David noted, it passed the "pen" test.

Bob Ettinger
04-11-2008, 10:46 AM
Easy to see why it was in a claendar and sold as a print.

Jeffrey Sipress
04-11-2008, 12:02 PM
Thanks, guys. I do agree about the rock running off the frame. I believe edge resolution is an important compositional factor in landscapes. At least the part of the rock in question is submerged, to lessen the effect.

This was made in early July. That's spring up there!

Phil Colla
04-30-2008, 04:10 PM
I can see why you've sold it, its really strong, really has that high sierra feel, well done!