PDA

View Full Version : Barn Window

Anita Bower
02-08-2012, 07:34 AM
I found this barn window on an early morning walk a few weeks ago. It was in shadow and the sun wasn't up yet. I used my 50mm lens at f1.8, 1/60, ISO 1000 handheld. In post processing I experimented with creating a pencil sketch layer to bring out the lines. Many other post processing steps also.

As I preview this post, I'm thinking that the vine crossing the window ought to be darkened. What do you think?

Constructive critique always appreciated.:bg3:

Cynthia Thayer
02-08-2012, 03:22 PM
Anne, I love all the rich tones and textures in this. The branch, I feel, would work better a tad less saturated. It's worth a try. Great creative work.

Paul Lagasi
02-08-2012, 05:46 PM
Anita, I like the effects and composition, the colors I like. I used the eyedropper and captured the color of the vine below the window and painted all the bright vines. Made quite a difference. So I vote darken them. Good work...

Judy Howle
02-08-2012, 07:08 PM
Nice composition, colors and processing Anita. I agree with Paul on the vines.

Cheryl Slechta
02-08-2012, 07:29 PM
Anita, I love the composition and the colors. The sketch effect works really well with the wood and screen. At first I thought lighten the vine but I think darkening might be the way to go.:S3:

Hazel Grant
02-08-2012, 09:15 PM
I like the comp but my first thought was it seems a bit flat/washed out. There are some great colors hidden in this picture that would add so much interest. I think you see that, too, or you wouldn't have asked about the vine. I did a selected color adjustment, adding a bit of black to the red and to the black colors. just a bit added so much.

like the off-center window and the textures of the wood set against the curves of the vines.

denise ippolito
02-09-2012, 09:39 AM
Very nicely seen Anita, I like the way you composed this and I love the flow of the vine. Agree about trying to make it stand out a bit more.

Indranil Sircar
02-09-2012, 04:42 PM
Anita, I really like the texture and the effect on the wood and I think that what makes this composition special. For me the vines could go either way. Excellent processing.

Anita Bower
02-14-2012, 10:44 AM
I appreciate all your suggestions: darkening the vine, saturation, making it less flat. Will go back to the "drawing board." :-)