PDA

View Full Version : Winter White

Mats Honkamaa
02-06-2012, 02:52 PM
http://obj.fotosidan.se/obj/photo/f0/f0bfe25b929b6ff9c341c2c782d29600.jpg

Canon 7D | Sigma EX 18-50/2.8
ISO400 | f/5.6 | 1/1250 sec | exp +1.0 | 50mm

Would really appreciate some help with this one. This is basically my first attempt at doing a B&W photo. I really like the whiteness of this photo and I dont want more contrast but somehow I think I would like the tree to separate better from the sky. Not sure though. Any input how this photo could be imporved during shot and after shot is very welcome.

I give you little info about the photo. This photo is taken from a bridge crossing Oulu River in the city of Oulu in northern Finland. It is -30 degrees but the river refuses to freeze because of the moving water. The water and cold air causes a big amount of fog above the water and this fog also catches on to the trees next to the river where it freezes and makes the trees icey and white.

Don Railton
02-06-2012, 07:11 PM
Hi Mats

I like what you have done here. I am not into black and white so much so I cannot talk from experience to provide you with any post processing tricks. The only thoughts I have to help is that flash(s) might light up the tree a little more and achieve the separation you seek. The other option is to change the time of day for your image so the light angle onto the tree is different. You can see that the tree's RHS is well defined because its in shadow while the LHS blends into the background. Maybe if the light was either directly behind you or directly behind the tree the separation might be better. I hope those that photograph in snow regularly might help. Its 35C here today and snow is hard to find...:S3:

DON

Robert Amoruso
02-08-2012, 09:33 PM
Mats,

Don had some good suggestions on controlling the light. You could select the BG and darken it somewhat or select the tree and lighten it.

I would have preferred a bit more room on the top and right. Tree is somewhat cramped there.

Jerry van Dijk
02-10-2012, 02:38 PM
Hi Mats, I like your composition, but may have included more of the leading line of the fence. The whole image emanates -30!!
Regarding the white on white: I had a similar problem with a macro image in snow. I got some good advice then. See: http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php/55266-Azalea-snowcone?highlight=

Brendan Dozier
02-10-2012, 03:30 PM
I'm new to B&W also, but I really like the effect and overall composition. Good suggestions above to make it even stronger.

Andrew Aveley
03-01-2012, 04:16 PM
I have different take on the image. I added the local contrast enhancement ( USM 20 , 50 ,0 ) and then created new layer with blending mode set to overlay. Selected dodged and burn tools at 10% on hi-lights and softly burnt tree and dodged the darker area on the BR and Mid rhs. What do you think :)