PDA

View Full Version : ExternaL hard drive problem, help!

Dan Brown
02-06-2012, 12:02 PM
I have just upgraded my backup system by replacing two 1tb WD drives with two 2tb's. This gives me 3, usb 3.0 external WD 2tb's, which I sync/backup using syncback. These drives are not running at usb 3, as I can't seem to be able to make the system do this? I am ok with usb 2. I was able to add all of my files to the new drives, filling them to 50% capacity. But, one of the new drives is not seen by windows 7 "my computer" on the first startup. If I restart, the drive will show up but sometimes it's folders show as empty and the drive is half full! If I restart again, all the files are finally seen and I can work with them! To solve the problem, I tried using another usb port with no success. I have changed the drive letter from E to M and this seems to make a little difference, not requiring two restarts (usually). I have looked at the boot order but can't really make sense of it, as I can't id the problem drive. I googled the problem and one suggestion is to uninstall all of my usb drivers and start over! UCK!! HELP!!!

Terry Bridges
02-06-2012, 01:51 PM
Windows 7 does suffer from a lack of refreshment on external (and internal) drive folder/file displays. But try using F5 on the problem drive and see if windows will refresh the folder list...It works on several USB devices I use that suffer the same symptom. Good Luck.

Roger Clark
02-06-2012, 05:23 PM
Hi Dan,

As Terry suggests, try a refresh. In explorer under view there is a refresh button. But it is performance like this (or lack thereof) that drove me away from windows. I also agree that re-installing drivers might help. Good luck.

Roger

Dan Brown
02-10-2012, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the help, guys. I changed the drive letter, thinking that would help, but no. In fact the problem started to get worse! I was about to re-format the disk when I thought to try yet another usb port and VIOLA! I guess that I have a bad usb3 port! I plugged into a usb2 port that was part of the machine case and so far, all is working!

Steve Uffman
02-17-2012, 12:52 PM
Hope you find the answer as I have a 3tB drive that appears and disappears regularly. I am about to order another USB3.0 hub for the computer to see if that is a contributing factor.

Also, an earlier post by me outlined the issues that I had with windows 7 and the formatting of drives bigger than 2TBs. At the time I had the problem, after wasting a week, WD finally did a post with a new formatter for their larger drives to work with Windows 7

Dan Brown
02-18-2012, 11:07 AM
Hope you find the answer as I have a 3tB drive that appears and disappears regularly. I am about to order another USB3.0 hub for the computer to see if that is a contributing factor.

Also, an earlier post by me outlined the issues that I had with windows 7 and the formatting of drives bigger than 2TBs. At the time I had the problem, after wasting a week, WD finally did a post with a new formatter for their larger drives to work with Windows 7Steve, I gave up on the usb3 ports, they are not working for me on any of my drives? But , usb2 is, with the exception of the one port. Since I plugged into a standard usb2 port, the drive has shown up consistently fine!

Roger Clark
02-18-2012, 01:55 PM
Steve, I gave up on the usb3 ports, they are not working for me on any of my drives? But , usb2 is, with the exception of the one port. Since I plugged into a standard usb2 port, the drive has shown up consistently fine!

Dan,
That is unfortunate. I consistently get 3 to 4 times the data rate on USB3 ports as USB2 ports. Typically about 105 megabytes/sec.

Roger

Dan Brown
02-20-2012, 11:36 PM
Dan,
That is unfortunate. I consistently get 3 to 4 times the data rate on USB3 ports as USB2 ports. Typically about 105 megabytes/sec.

RogerI agree, Roger! I am going to revisit the usb3 problem. I've tried re-installing the drivers for the usb3 once with not success.

Steve Uffman
02-20-2012, 11:54 PM
My Windows 7 system goes back and forth recognizing 4 or 5 drives..two internal, 3 external. the one it drops is always one of the USB 3.0 drives...Pretty confident in both drives 3gb drives as they are readily recognized when I plug them in a 2.0 port.

I have redone the drivers...no avail...So I am suspect of the two port module....I am ordering another from a different manufacturer to see if it makes a difference....

Must say I am not completely confident...as i have had intermittent problems with Windows 7 always recognizing the integral card reader....

Recently it was not recognized ....but I was doing a significant memory upgrade since it has become so inexpensive...so I thought I would test it again. Lo and behold it now works like a champ...

Will report back anything I learn.