02-05-2012, 05:22 PM
Canon 7D
f 5.6 100-400 at 400
Manual, HH
ISO 640
SS 1/3200
A 8.0
Almost full frame ~ 95%
Taken at 7:04 am in Botswana. The bright blue sky BG will not be to everyone's taste but that really is the correct blue.
Comments and critiques always appreciated and learned from with thanks,
Gail

Doug Zoern
02-05-2012, 05:36 PM
Nice capture of a couple of thugs. They are just the meanest looking birds.
These guys are all over but hard to get a good shot of, nice work. I'd like to see some detail in the black back.

dankearl
02-05-2012, 07:20 PM
Cartoon birds!
Nice photo and nice perch.

Jack Breakfast
02-05-2012, 07:23 PM
I think the shot is lovely and it wouldn't matter to me if the blue is "correct" or not. The birds look terrific and I love the colors all around. I do have a minor nitpick, if I may: if I had been lucky enough to snap this, I'd crop just to the left of the sticking-up piece of perch. I could see how that crop might be tricky, but for me it's less distracting this way...ah, different strokes...

Sachin Saraf
02-05-2012, 09:52 PM
This is beautiful capture Gail Nice and Sharp...You did great with respect to HA, nice to have eye visible of the one preening...
Did you get a frame where both are looking opposite to each other? :S3:

Mike Osborne
02-05-2012, 11:00 PM
Great image Gail, you've captured this at the right moment (time of day, time of action and both birds having eye contact). I would prefer the plain blue sky any time over a cluttered background. After all it is about the subject more so than the perch and background.

Robert Holguin
02-06-2012, 01:21 AM
Very nice shot. I really like the perch as looks fitting for both birds, real nice detail, great poses on both birds, and excellent comp.
Well done.

Stu Bowie
02-06-2012, 10:34 AM
Hi Gail, nothing wrong with the blue sky in this, this is africa. :w3 Believe it or not, Ive taken plenty of Hornbill images, but never had two in the same frame, so you are one up on me. Both well exposed, and both in perfect focus and sharp. I think you could tease a bit more out of the darker plumage of the preening HB, and I can see your train of thought with your comp ( looking down the line of the perch with space to look into )

arash_hazeghi
02-06-2012, 11:49 AM
very cool Gail, great that you got both sharp I like the original comp.

Kaustubh Deshpande
02-06-2012, 05:32 PM
Gail, these are the tough ones...two birds and one in preening motion....timing is everything here. Well done. good call on f-stop, excellent comp. and details.