PDA

View Full Version : Siblings in the Spotlight...

David Roach
04-10-2008, 07:08 AM
This is from a first outing with new rig (both 400DO and 1DMKIIN) late last summer. These two were from the very last nest at Wako last season. Even though they were far (heavy crop) and back in the clutter of the fireflag, I loved the spotlight effect. I also tried the 1.4 and 2x converter, but there was just too much light lost (the back sibling was lost in the shadows - no detail). So, this image was the first to make me appreciate the extra stop of light F4 on the 400DO vs F5.6 on my old trusty 100-400 and extra dynamic range of the 1 series over my old 10D. Image created early morning. I know there's a lot of clutter, but I like the spotlight in this one and the similar poses of these two. Sure wish I'd had a 500 or 600 F4!!
1DMKIIN 400DO ISO 200 F8@1/320

Alfred Forns
04-10-2008, 07:43 AM
Hi David The spotlight effect does help cutting down the bg clutter Tough to get these guys anywhere else I like the alert poses and good head angle Sure wish the light would have reached the head of the second bird Not sure you could lighten more and get away with it !!!!

Will be looking for them this year !!!

Fabs Forns
04-10-2008, 10:06 AM
Hi David, good to find their heads in the open, at least they are isolated amongst the clutter of the nesting area.
I used Filter>Render>Light effects, used the Spotlight effect on the second one, on a layer, the erased the effect from the rest of the image. Hope you like it :)

David Roach
04-10-2008, 10:22 AM
Oh, to have such mad PS skills!!!! I hate you!!! But seriously, I like it better but would have lessened it a bit as the whites now look blown on shadowed sibling. For us PS newbie's, thanks for the explanation of tecnique. And as always, thanks for the learnings!!

Fabs Forns
04-10-2008, 10:48 AM
Glad you liked it, David :)

I did this fast, you can also reduce the opacity of the light for less of an effect.
In the Edu Rources Forum, there's tutorials on how to selective do things, I think it's
under saving the whites.
Happy to help!

Linda Robbins
04-10-2008, 10:53 AM
What cuties. The large crop looks ok in this image. I like the poses of both babies, and Fabs came to the rescue with a great technique that really improved the image.