PDA

View Full Version : Sandhill in flight close up

Joel Eade
02-04-2012, 02:41 PM
This crane flew so close I couldn't keep all of him in the frame, I wasn't sure how to best crop this one so I will be interested to see suggestions. I cropped in from the top and left, leaving space on the right. The original had most of the wing tips clipped off. I really like the detail in the head and body so I tried to make something interesting out of it

1D4
500mm f/4
Manual mode
Center AF point manually selected, rear focus
ISO 640
f/8
1/1600

John Chardine
02-04-2012, 04:52 PM
Beautifully sharp where it counts Joel- actually, it's sharp pretty well everywhere! Nice light. Love the eye. Crop-wise, I'm thinking that tighter would be better if the original image allows.

Jeff Cashdollar
02-04-2012, 05:04 PM
Joel,

Use a piece of paper on your screen and try alternative crops, tighter might be better. Give it a try and after receiving more feedback repost if you want. Really like the look and head detail.

Thanks for posting like what you are trying to do here.

pat lillich
02-05-2012, 11:27 AM
beautifully sharp, wonderful light. Best of luck with the crops - i think it works really well as is too.

Kerry Perkins
02-06-2012, 12:08 AM
Joel, for me the only crops that work on these birds is the full bird or the head only. Anything in between looks awkward IMO. I have tried with many of my own shots but the clipped wings and cutoff tail just don't work for me.

Linwood Ferguson
02-25-2012, 07:18 PM
Joel, for me the only crops that work on these birds is the full bird or the head only. Anything in between looks awkward IMO. I have tried with many of my own shots but the clipped wings and cutoff tail just don't work for me.

I would normally agree, but maybe because it's such a large and unusual bird, and all three (i.e. including tail) is cropped, I like this one. There's a real sense of speed moving into the frame.