PDA

View Full Version : Crossing the Mara

Roman Kurywczak
02-04-2012, 12:34 PM
I did say I had a few of these .......This is where the versatility of the Sigmonster really came in handy. I was able to zoom and compose without having the drivers move the vehicle which made for a bit easier time with all the chaos of a crossing. There was another WB in front of the lead one.....just out of frame on the right so couldn't go wider without introducing another mass. I do have others slightly wider when another wave crossed. If you ever do go to Tanzania or Kenya to see this......a zoom is an excellent option.
Canon 1D Mark lll with the Sigma 300-800@ 731mm at f/8 for 1/800 sec. and ISO 800. Saved at 66 quality to fit.

dankearl
02-04-2012, 06:12 PM
Great action, Roman and all sharp up front at f8.
Very nice.
Almost all eye contact as well!

Ken Watkins
02-04-2012, 10:44 PM
Roman.

Great illustration of the total mayhem at such a sighting:cheers:

Tom Graham
02-04-2012, 10:46 PM
For me, just too many subjects with not an obvious main subject or area. Also, find the WB in top background being OOF distracting.
Tom

Rachel Hollander
02-05-2012, 07:44 AM
Roman - this one works much better for me. Good action in the water and I like that you included the whole wbs in the line at the shore (didn't chop off the tops). Well done!

TFS,
Rachel

Steve Kaluski
02-05-2012, 09:17 AM
Hi Roman, I think with the massing herds congregating right on the crossing edge, with some WB in the water, it does start to give that experience, but for me, your initial postings a little while back is the best, conveying the drama of this spectacle.

Personally I feel its a tad too warm (not unusual for Canon :w3), so I might suggest adjusting the Reds & Yellows slightly (not as much as I initially thought) and some slight Colour balance gives the image a little more clarity/pop and some of the nice detail starts to come through even more IMHO.

TFS
Steve

v.p.nurdeen
02-05-2012, 10:19 PM
Hi Roman,
Amazing action image. If there were a few crocodiles around would make the image even more dramatic :S3:
VPN

Morkel Erasmus
02-06-2012, 03:12 AM
Hey Roman
I don't mind the OOF Wildebeests in the BG, and like the sense of the moment this conveys. Yes, your initial posts were "stronger" but still would like to have this as mine. I can imagine the Sigmonster being extremely versatile in a place like the Mara/Serengeti when others on your vehicle are shooting with fixed focal length lenses. :t3

Steve Canuel
02-07-2012, 10:26 PM
Nice water grouping for this one Roman and they're mostly all looking your way. I like the wide eyed expression that some of them are showing. Kind of interesting but a tighter pano crop with just legs showing up top works for me too.