PDA

View Full Version : Grab Bag Woodpecker

Julie Kenward
02-03-2012, 08:44 PM
This really IS a grab bag of treatments. I converted the entire image to black and white in PS, then masked the woodpecker back in. Next I added a texture layer, then masked the tree and woodpecker back in. After that I added a bi-color filter from Color Efex and lowered the opacity on the tree and masked out the bird. Finally, I added a vignette around the entire image from Color Efex.

Considering the really boring, washed out BG that this started with...I think it came a long way. Still not perfect but it was fun to play with it.

(BTW) this was a photo from 2008 that I had never gotten around to processing.)

Hazel Grant
02-03-2012, 11:04 PM
That's a lot of work! but worth it. With all the textures, etc. you still keep the eye sharp, and that's a good job

Andrew McLachlan
02-03-2012, 11:37 PM
Hi Julie, a lovely male red-bellied woodpecker. I like the pose on the tree trunk as well. I have a female hanging around my house this season and I get a chance to photograph her from time-to-time from my backyard photo blind...today was one of those days. Lovely work!

John Storjohann
02-04-2012, 07:56 AM
Hi Julie. This is really well done...the processing brought the image to life. The tree trunk has an aged, sepia-toned look to it, something that is enhanced by the texture applied...great use of the vignette...wonderful job of masking the woodpecker back in each time to bring out color, texture and tone. Nicely done!

Steve Maxson
02-04-2012, 11:02 AM
Hi Jules. Excellent pose and comp - the placement of the bird in the frame and the diagonal of the tree work very well here. Your pp work makes this image really stand out! Very well done! Hang it!

Paul Lagasi
02-04-2012, 05:24 PM
Nice work, has a lovely soft look to it....your effects and work really show well....

Maureen Allen
02-04-2012, 10:58 PM
Really nice, Jules! Love the textures and the soft look to this :S3:

Indranil Sircar
02-05-2012, 01:33 PM
Julie, I love this composition. The angled pose works very well with V created by the tree and back of woodpecker. Wonderful colors as is the texture. Excellent processing.

denise ippolito
02-05-2012, 01:56 PM
Jules, You did a great job with the comp. and the processing. I love the BG behind the bird.