PDA

View Full Version : Penguin boiling pot on Saunders Is, Falklands

Charles Glatzer
02-03-2012, 08:21 PM
Penguin boiling pot on Saunders Is, Falklands

It took 3 gentoo penguins to make 1 gallon of oil.

This is the 3rd time I have photographed the pot, with each image being very different from the next.

1Ds III, 24-70, handheld 3 stop auto bracket, with NIK HDR Effex rendering.
Manual exposure, Spot off ground.
1/500 at f/11, ISO 200
Nik HDR Effex Pro and Color Effex Pro 4

Best,

Chas

Robert Amoruso
02-04-2012, 11:09 AM
Hi Chas,

Interesting and effective story telling composition to juxtapose the pot with the penguins. I like the two rocks in the FG. If on the right you could have not clipped the two rocks w/o introducing more edge distractions, that would have been good.

The clouds have too much of that HDR look to me. I might suggest blending on the the single exposures where the clouds look good with the HDR exposure.

Don Railton
02-05-2012, 07:12 PM
Hello Chas

Nice story telling... Good outcome also IMHO, bet the penguins agree. I might consider cropping a thin sliver of the RHS so the smaller of the two white rocks on the RHS border is just eliminated. This has the effect of removing the shadow from under the larger of these two rocks and lessens the impact of its incomplete inclusion. I would have also prefer to see the Penguins slightly larger, but understand why they have a pot aversion...

Thanks for showing and love your work..

DON

laurie golden
02-07-2012, 12:33 AM
Thanks for the history lesson Chas, I love beautiful natural scenes with a reminder of our impact on it. Great composition.

Morkel Erasmus
02-09-2012, 08:45 AM
I might be daft or ignorant here - but did folks actually boil penguins to obtain oil from their hides?? :Whoa!: If so - shocking piece of information...
Nicely composed Chas. I like the overall details but agree with Robert that the sky has too much of "that HDR feel" in it.

Brendan Dozier
02-10-2012, 03:29 PM
Nicely composed image, Chas, and like the overall HDR effect in this. Agree with Robert regarding clouds. Would be cool to see enlarged version to appreciate more of the penguin details in BG.

Andrew Aveley
03-01-2012, 04:18 PM
Photojournalism of note :) not a big fan of the sky but were a soft grad not an option?