PDA

View Full Version : Magellanic penguin in kelp

Charles Glatzer
02-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Magellanic penguin in kelp

This image was taken at one of my favorite locations on Sea Lion Island, Falklands

1D IV, 500 w/1.4x III
Manual, Spot metered on nearby penguin chest +2 EV, 1/1000 @ f/8, ISO 200
Post-production- 15in MBP, LR3, CS5, NIK

See you where there is light, or at the computer,

Chas in YNP

arash_hazeghi
02-02-2012, 10:22 PM
it must be an interesting scene, for me the penguin is lost in the environment a bit though and given the small image presented it is not showing much detail...TFS

Charles Glatzer
02-02-2012, 10:39 PM
it must be an interesting scene, for me the penguin is lost in the environment a bit though and given the small image presented it is not showing much detail...TFS

To me that is exactly the point of the image, a bird trying to get through a huge kelp bed.

A larger image can be found at http://shootthelight.com/#/Portfolio/Wildlife/1/

Best,

Chas

arash_hazeghi
02-02-2012, 11:37 PM
To me that is exactly the point of the image, a bird trying to get through a huge kelp bed.

A larger image can be found at http://shootthelight.com/#/Portfolio/Wildlife/1/

Best,

Chas

The larger one does show better details but I still prefer more separation between the penguin and the busy BG. The kelp in the FG is cool.

Jay Gould
02-02-2012, 11:46 PM
I prefer the crop on the larger image!

Doug West
02-03-2012, 12:44 AM
I love either one, but I prefer the one with the most kelp.

I'm not worried about separation from the background cause in a way the penguin is 'attached'
to the background. With the penguin being a part of it and by seeing how much kelp there is,
I get an even greater feel of the struggle the little guy is going thru to get to his destination.

Doug

john jackson
02-03-2012, 08:50 AM
For me the kelp would be the reason for taking the photo. I could spend hours with a subject like that taking abstracts of the wonderful patterns, texture, shapes and colour. I like that the kelp doesn't end before the edge of the picture so in the mind it could extend for miles. I would take a small sliver off the top of the image as I think a more panoramic format would emphasise both the bird and the kelp.

Charles Glatzer
02-03-2012, 10:46 AM
The larger one does show better details but I still prefer more separation between the penguin and the busy BG. The kelp in the FG is cool.

The busy background you refer to is where the penguin lives. I prefer when possible to include environment providing a sense of context, scale, time, and place, as well as a story line.

Different styles make this a better place. Thanks for the input.

Chas

arash_hazeghi
02-03-2012, 10:53 AM
The busy background you refer to is where the penguin lives. I prefer when possible to include environment providing a sense of context, scale, time, and place, as well as a story line.

Different styles make this a better place. Thanks for the input.

Chas

I do like conveying the environment and I do it myself too, but with more separation such that it does not distract from the main subject :)

Thanks for comments I agree this why this forum is great, different points of view and honest critique is good for everyone.

James Fuller
02-04-2012, 12:10 PM
This is too cool! Love it!