PDA

View Full Version : Protrusions on the Highveld

Morkel Erasmus
02-02-2012, 05:25 PM
I really need to get out and take a few new landscape images.
This one is from November 2011 during a visit to a trout farm on the South African Highveld.

The sunset looked bleak at first with overcast skies, but luckily some light broke through.

Techs:
Nikon D3s with Nikkor 14-24mm f2.8 @ 14mm
f16 @ ISO-200
Blend of 2 images using luminosity masks

Don Railton
02-02-2012, 07:22 PM
Hi Morkel

A beautiful scene indeed. I love the colours and especially the ray in the sky leading the eye to the colour burst on the horizon. I found this more of a lead than the rocks from the bottom RHS. My only nits is the bright red lichen seems almost to be hovering over the rocks, seems too bright or something.. Also the light coloured sky upper LHS looks blurred. Is this a Blend?

DON

Don Railton
02-02-2012, 07:23 PM
Hmm. it is a blend. Must learnt to read..

Andrew McLachlan
02-02-2012, 10:42 PM
Hi Morkel, this turned out very nicely. I really like the grouping of rocks and the colors in the sky as I do the rays from the sun. What keeps catching my eye is the white clouds along the top edge. I wonder if a small crop from the top might be worth trying. Beautiful scene!

Jay Gould
02-02-2012, 11:44 PM
I definitely agree with Andrew that the white clouds need to either go of be subdued. Otherwise, it rocks!

Robert Amoruso
02-04-2012, 11:02 AM
I like the opposing diagonals of the crepuscular rays and the rock formation. I think the clouds at the top, the white ones either needed to be fully included or cropped out.

{I have not looked at anyone's comments - my new thing - so as not to influence my opinion.} I wondered how close I am to the comments above.

Morkel Erasmus
02-05-2012, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the kind and thoughtful comments folks.
I always struggle to tone down the lichens on rocks after going through my normal landscape workflow.
Here is a version with the sky cropped at the top (due to popular demand) and the orange/red lichens hopefully toned down a tad.

Jay Gould
02-05-2012, 02:56 AM
Mate, I agree with the crop; I do not agree with toning done. Lovely image.

Rob Miner
02-05-2012, 12:24 PM
Hey Mork,

Like your picture. Next time your in this location - try a small amount of flash on the Rocks.

Rob............

Hilary Hann
02-07-2012, 10:18 PM
Morkel, like what you're trying to do but I have to tell you that the first thing I thought when I looked at it was that somehow my blinkies were working!! Those lichen are so bright, that's what it looked like at first glance. Agree with previous comments regarding the bright clouds at the top. The one thing that does bother me is the way the horizon cuts the image in half. It is one of my bug bears in landscapes so I'm sorry that I'm the odd one out with this.

Bob Miller
02-09-2012, 08:42 PM
Hi Morkel.....Not much more to say ....my first impression also was that lichens were way too bright......Your repost is better . You might consider adding some black to the reds in Selective color adj layer

Brendan Dozier
02-10-2012, 03:25 PM
Cool composition, Morkel, like the perspective, texture to rocks and contrast to sky. Good suggestions, and repost looks stronger.